Facilities Management Basics (aka Buildings and Grounds)
Who is responsible for the oversight, management and upkeep of your buildings and surrounding property?
Some congregations with a large pool of volunteer talent have a building and grounds committee or team to maintain and repair the building and care for the grounds. Other congregations have staff oversee this function.
In order to be good stewards of the facilities, the governing body wants to make sure that the property is in good working order, that repairs are done in a timely matter, and that the facility is safe and secure. These include:
- Building security with policies and procedures around keys and other access issues.
- Updating electrical, plumbing, heating and other systems to meet local codes.
- Complying with local fire codes.
- Making sure that the building is accessible to people with various disabilities.
- Making sure that the chancel, lighting and sound systems in the sanctuary are accessible to people with various disabilities.
- Complying with Green Sanctuary guidelines.
- Develop facilities management plans that include schedules for long-term repairs such as roof and carpet replacement, painting and other updates.