Personnel Committees operate like Human Resources departments in that they don't hire, manage or supervise staff. Instead they advise on best practices.
Potential Personnel Committee Responsibilities
- Assist the board in developing and updating personnel policies, including policies and procedures for staff grievances
- Ensures that the congregation is in compliance with applicable laws as an employer
- Ensures that the congregation is in compliance with applicable rules for insurance and retirement plans
- Researches and makes recommendations for fair staff compensation (salary & benefits)
- Researches and makes recommendations for fair hiring practices
- The board would reserve the authority to form an ad-hoc task force to investigate any staff grievances. The personnel committee should not hold that authority
Sample Personnel Committee Charter Policy
The Board of Trustees of _____ charters the formation of a Personnel Committee. The Personnel Committee will hold the responsibility and authority to monitor and advise the Board of Trustees on personnel matters, including staff compensation within UUA fair compensation guidelines; compliance with all federal, state and local labor laws; and any rules for participating in Insurance and/or Retirement programs. The Personnel Committee will make decisions that are resonant with Unitarian Universalist values and the church's stated vision and mission. The Personnel Committee will be accountable to the Board of Trustees.
The Finance Committee will consist of _____ voting members, including the _______ and (give details of members). All voting members must be members in good standing of _____.