UU-UNO Intergenerational Spring Seminar
With a deep passion for and commitment to international human rights, youth and adults from all over North America gather annually for our three day seminar to dig deeply into issues with global impact.
The intergenerational seminar is an opportunity to collaborate with others while learning how to be a global activist. Through workshops, peer and expert-led panel discussions, community building activities, and worship services, participants undergo a transformative process of learning, reflection, and growth as we explore some of the most challenging issues facing humanity today.
Registration opens December 5th for our 2017 Seminar!
2017 Intergenerational Spring Seminar
Our 2017 seminar, Arm in Arm: Interfaith Action to Disarm Our Planet, will be April 6-8, 2017 in New York City. (Youth and sponsors will arrive April 5th for orientation.) Together, we will consider interfaith engagement with issues such as:
- Reducing gun violence and the proliferation of small arms;
- Nuclear disarmament and the abolition of other weapons of mass destruction;
- Use of unmanned drones;
- Chemical and biological weapons;
- Strengthening global peace and security;
- Racial implications and consequences of armed violence.
Programming will be interactive, encouraging participants to reflect on how the topics addressed affect them in their lives, their spirituality, and how they are called to respond. Moving from ideas to concrete action, participants will learn tools and skills to help them with future collaboration and activism. Each person will participate in an intergenerational Collaboration Group, touching base periodically throughout the seminar to reflect on and process the issues discussed. Included in this year's seminar will be programming designed specifically for ministers who are interested in incorporating a global perspective into their congregational ministry.
- Summary Schedule of Events (note this schedule is tentative and subject to change).
- FAQ for Youth and Sponsors
- Participant Forms (required from all participants)
Youth at Spring Seminar
The UU United Nations Office's Intergenerational Spring Seminar is open to anyone age 14 and up, and typically around half of all participants are between ages 14 and 18. Youth orientation begins a day early, so for Seminar 2017 youth will arrive by 6pm on Wednesday, April 5. Safety is our top priority—all youth attending the seminar must be accompanied by an adult Sponsor (maximum 5 youth per Sponsor). Upon arriving, a thorough orientation will be provided for Youth and their Sponsors. See our FAQ sheet for Youth and Sponsors to learn more.
Collaboration Group Leaders: (Position open to youth or adults!) Seminar participants have the opportunity to facilitate intergenerational small discussion groups called Collaboration Groups that meet periodically throughout the seminar. Guiding readings and prompt questions will be provided, and Collaboration Group Leaders will receive a virtual training prior to the seminar. Apply to be a Collaboration Group Leader by February 27th! (Application coming soon!)
Previous Spring Seminars
- 2016: The Colors of Inequality: Costs and Consequences
- 2015: International Criminal Justice: From Punitive to Restorative
- 2014: Sacred Roots: Indigenous Rights, Resistance and Reclamation
- 2013: Sex, Love, and Violence: Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity in a Globalized World
- 2012: Beyond Borders: Breaking Barriers of Race and Immigration
- 2011: Empower Women for a Better World
- 2010: A Climate of Change