You Are Here
Creating Peace Becomes a Statement of Conscience
"Peacemaking" was chosen as the congregational Study/Action Issue by the delegates at General Assembly 2006. Unitarian Universalists (UUs) were enjoined to study, reflect and converse on the topic of "Peacemaking," with the goal of drafting a statement that reflects Unitarian Universalist values and thoughts on this complex issue. The resources below were created to help UUs in this process.
The draft statement, "Creating Peace" was brought to a vote by the delegates of General Assembly 2010, where it was approved to be an official Statement of Conscience of the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA).
- GA2010: Plenary III, including Report on 2009-10 Review of Proposed Statement of Conscience and Debate/Vote on Proposed Statement of Conscience: Creating Peace
Educational Materials: Find New Ways to Get Your Congregation Involved
Thanks to the hard work of John Schaibly of San Diego, we have a monthly newsletter on Unitarian Universalist (UU) Peacemaking. For information on how to get on the distribution list, please contact peacemaking [at] uua [dot] org.
- CSAI "Peacemaking" Resource Guide
- New! DVD: "Peacemaking: A Commitment to Study and Action". Order the DVD now! (PDF)
- Is your congregation ready to make the pledge to peace? Please read our Peacemaking Pledge (PDF) to found out how.
- Peacemaking Success Stories (PDF): Learn best practices from congregations from all over the United States.
Email Distribution Lists
An email list is available for those who would like to be part of a network of UUs interested in or already helping to implement the Peacemaking CSAI. New ideas and suggestions are made and discussed, and are later brought to committees of activists currently making suggestions for the CSAI process.
Subscribe to the Peacemaking-Network Email List.
A new email list is now also available for people who only want to receive announcements about national actions and deadlines.
Subscribe to the Peacemaking-News Email List.
Peacemaking Educational Materials
- Peacemakers Book Discussion Program 2007-2008 (Word) (PDF)
- Teleseminars with UU Theologians on Peacemaking
- Peacemaking in Congregations (Word, 62 pages) (PDF): A Guide to Learning Opportunities for All Ages
- UU Compassionate Communications Website
Small Group Ministry Study Materials
- Introductory Workshop (Word, 5 pages) (PDF)
Small Group Session Plans and Tips for Facilitators:
- Session 1: Peacemaking Concepts and Definitions: An Introduction (Word) (PDF)
- Session 2A: Interpersonal Peacemaking—Interpersonal Peace (Word) (PDF)
- Session 2B: Interpersonal Peacemaking—The Peace of Forgiveness (Word) (PDF)
- Session 2C: Congregational Peace (Word) (PDF)
- Session 3: Building a Culture of Peace (Word) (PDF)
- Session 4: The Many Faces of Violence (Structural Violence) (Word) (PDF)
- Session 5A: Building Peace Globally (PDF, 5 pages)
- Session 5B: Just War (PDF)
- Session 5C: Nonviolence (PDF)
- Session 6: Just War and Pacifism in our Lives (PDF, 8 pages)
- Tips for Small Group Facilitators (Word) (PDF)