Resources for Envoys on the UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, the United Nations unanimously adopted an action plan to make the world more just, safe, and livable by the year 2030. This plan, entitled "Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development" includes 17 goals for countries, industries, and global citizens to work on together to improve our world "for people and planet."
Get Active to Improve Our World
In order to achieve these 17 ambitious goals by 2030, everyone needs to be informed and involved!
The United Nations Office in Geneva has just published an excellent brochure of 170 Daily Actions to Transform Our World. Check it out and share it with your congregation! (Find more info & translations at the website #YouNeedToKnow)
You might also like to try some easy suggestions from The Lazy Person's Guide to Saving the World from the UN!
Click on each number below for suggested actions you can take as an individual or in your congregation towards accomplishing the Sustainable Development Goals.
Take some time to learn more information about the goals, each of their associated targets, and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- SDG 1 (PDF): End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- SDG 2 (PDF): End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- SDG 3 (PDF): Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- SDG 4 (PDF): Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- SDG 5 (PDF): Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- SDG 6 (PDF): Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- SDG 7 (PDF): Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- SDG 8 (PDF): Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- SDG 9 (PDF): Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- SDG 10 (PDF): Reduce inequality within and among countries
- SDG 11 (PDF): Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- SDG 12 (PDF): Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- SDG 13 (PDF): Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts*
- SDG 14 (PDF): Conserve and sustainable use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- SDG 15 (PDF): Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably managed forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- SDG 16: Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- SDG 17: Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
*Acknowledging that the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change is the primary international, intergovernmental forum for negotiating the global response to climate change.
SDG Resources from CVSA
On Sept. 26, 2017, the UU@UN hosted a training webinar for Envoys, presented by Susan Angus at CVSA (Commission on Voluntary Service & Action). The webinar was focused on how we can bring the Sustainable Development Goals to our local communities. CVSA has shared their SDG action toolkit as a resource for Envoys!
- Toolkit Introductory Letter (.pdf) Read this first!
- Tactic Sheet (.docx) provides instructions to plan a meeting/training session about the SDGs using the following resources:
- Video from Stephen Hawking about the SDGs (use to begin or finish your meeting!) More videos like this are available from the Global Goals site.
And finally, the video of the webinar itself is online and you can watch it if you missed the live session.