Blue Ribbon Award for Congregations Supporting the UU United Nations Office
Blue Ribbon Award Requirements
Unitarian Universalist congregations have a great opportunity to strengthen support for the Unitarian Universalist United Nations Office (UU-UNO) by working to achieve Blue Ribbon status. The Blue Ribbon Award is given yearly to congregations that have proved their continued support of the UU-UNO by meeting the following four requirements:
- Have an Envoy, Youth Envoy, or Envoy Team.
Envoys serve as the link between their congregation, the UU-UNO, and the United Nations. They promote UU-UNO education and advocacy in their congregations and bring local concerns to the international stage through the UU-UNO. Learn about the Envoy Program.
- Hold an annual UN Sunday service.
In celebration of the founding of the United Nations on October 24th, 1945, the UU-UNO invites congregations to deepen their understanding of the United Nations by devoting one service in October to highlighting the work of the UU-UNO and reaffirming the connections between UU principles and vital issues dealt with at the UN. Learn about United Nations Sunday.
- Have 15 members or 5% of your congregation become UU-UNO Supporters.
The annual contribution rate for UU-UNO Supporters is $60 (or $30 for Retired/Student Supporter). Please create a document to keep track of the Supporters from your congregation and send to the UU-UNO with your UN Sunday report. See sidebar for Supporter details.
- Give the UU-UNO an annual budget line or collection plate.
Talk to your minister and administrators to find out how to create an annual budget line. Alternatively, the collection plate criteria can be accomplished at your UN Sunday service! Read Instructions to send donations (PDF) collected in your congregation (US or Canada) to the UU-UNO.
In return, your congregation will be recognized for its steadfast dedication to international human rights and be presented with:
- A reception in your honor at UUA General Assembly or the Canadian Unitarian Council (CUC) National Conference.
- Formal recognition on the UU-UNO website.
- A specialized plaque to be displayed at your congregation.
For more information or advice on how to become a Blue Ribbon Congregation, contact our office: unitednations [at] uua [dot] org
Congratulations to the 2017-2018 Blue Ribbon Congregations
The following 18 congregations have met all of the requirements to become a Blue Ribbon Congregation and have shown their dedication to human rights and international social justice through their support of the Unitarian Universalist United Nations Office. Congratulations to all of this year's winners! Blue Ribbon Congregation Awards are presented to representatives of the winning congregations each year at the Unitarian Universalist Association's General Assembly and at the Canadian Unitarian Council's National Conference. View a map of congregations who have received the Blue Ribbon award in previous years.
- Unitarian Universalist Church of Birmingham (Birmingham, AL)
- Monte Vista Unitarian Universalist Congregation (Montclair, CA)
- First Unitarian Universalist Church of San Diego (San Diego, CA)
- Unitarian Universalists of San Mateo (San Mateo, CA)
- Unitarian Society of New Haven (Hamden, CT)
- The Unitarian Church in Westport (Westport, CT)
- North Shore Unitarian Universalist Society (Lacombe, LA)
- Community Church Unitarian Universalist (New Orleans, LA)
- The First Parish in Bedford, Unitarian Universalist (Bedford, MA)
- Unitarian Universalist Fellowship at Salisbury (Salisbury, MD)
- Morristown Unitarian Fellowship (Morristown, NJ)
- Universalist Unitarian Church of Halifax (Halifax, NS)
- Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Huntington (Huntington, NY)
- Unitarian Church of Staten Island (Staten Island, NY)
- Unitarian Universalist Congregation at Rock Tavern (Washingtonville, NY)
- All Souls Unitarian Universalist Church (Watertown, NY)
- Kingston Unitarian Fellowship (Kingston, ON)
- Unitarian Universalist Community Church of Washington County (Hillsboro, OR)
- First Unitarian Church of Portland (Portland, OR)
- Unitarian Universalist Church of North Hatley (UU Estrie) (North Hatley, QC)