Join with Unitarian Universalists of all ages for intergenerational dialogue about how to take action to achieve climate justice, food equity, and sustainability. Learn with and from one another during this interactive workshop and gear up for a year of activity and organizing. Must be registered for UUA General Assembly in order to participate!
- Amelia Diehl (UU Young Adults for Climate Justice)
- Bruce Knotts (UUA Office at the UN)
- Brynna Seligman (Youth member of UU@UN 2021 Seminar Planning Committee)
Resources for Continued Engagement
- 2011 UUA Statement of Conscience "Ethical Eating: Food & Environmental Justice"
- More information and resources about ethical eating
Take Action with Soul Fire Farm
- Host a screening of their virtual keynote address "Uprooting Racism, Seeding Sovereignty" at your congregation
- Learn more about food justice, dismantling racism, and liberation using Soul Fire Farm's resources page
- And learn more about SFF's Farming Practices and how they are using ancestral techniques to heal the land and community.
- Most importantly: Engage with their Food Sovereignty Action Steps, which offers seven levels of engagement from a policy platform to individual actions to organizational transformation to self-reflection and education.
UU Climate Action Opportunities
- Get involved with UU Drawdown Initiative and earn points for your actions to lower carbon footprints
- Join Create Climate Justice Net, the UUA's overarching campaign for Climate Justice
- Create an account online in CCJnet and log in
- Join the group "All In for Climate Justice: Food Equity and Sustainability" to network with others who are passionate about this topic and share resources and opportunities.
- Sign up for Create Climate Justice monthly newsletter for updates, calls to action, resources, and more
- Syllabus from the Liberation on the Land discussion series
- "Nourishment" poem created by participants
United Nations Climate and Food Summits
- Learn about the upcoming UN Food Systems Summit in September and read more about questions of justice and inclusion that have emerged
- View the recorded "Faith + Food Dialogues" (YouTube, 5 sessions) hosted by the Center for Earth Ethics as part of an interfaith contribution to the UN Food Systems Summit.
- COP26, the 26th Conference of Parties of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change is coming up in November and will be hosted in Glasgow. Unitarian Universalists will be present through our UU@UN credentials.
United Nations Sunday: October 24
A collection of resources is available online to help congregations plan a worship service and activities surrounding United Nations Day this October 24 on the theme “All In for Climate Justice: Food Equity and Sustainability.” Check out the materials online now at our UN Sunday webpage; additional content will be added throughout the summer.
Involvement with the UUA Office at the UN
- There are many ways to be involved with the UU@UN, both through your congregation and as an individual. A couple to note here:
- Become an Envoy: Youth and Adult Envoys represent the UU@UN within their congregation, working to get their congregation involved in international issues and sharing important information on current UN and UU@UN activities. Learn more about the Envoy Program.
Intergenerational Spring Seminar: Every April, youth and adults from around the U.S. and Canada gather for our exciting and educational Intergenerational Spring Seminar. All participants gain a deep understanding on a topic of global concern in a fun intergenerational environment. Learn more about the Intergenerational Spring Seminar.
Apply to join the Planning Committee! Apply by July 7 to serve as Youth Dean, and by August 9 for other positions on the Planning Committee. Next year’s Intergenerational Spring Seminar, hosted by UUA Office at the UN in partnership with UU Ministry for Earth and UU Service Committee, will focus on the topic of climate-forced displacement. The UUA Office at the UN is looking for youth and adults to join the volunteer planning team to put together an incredible conference, expected to take place in New York City April 22-24, 2022.