Here is a brief glimpse at the exciting, innovative ways these congregations are adapting to the changing religious landscape. Each of these congregations will be profiled in the UU World. We will link to the stories as they are published.
Breakthrough Congregations for 2019
- DuPage Unitarian Universalist Church of Naperville, IL's SMILE project is a terrific model for leading effective change and breaking down barriers in communities.
- The First Religious Society of Carlisle, MA's RE program takes RE beyond concepts and discussion and invites students to experience their own agency and live out their Unitarian Universalist values in a way that can be truly transformative.
- Unitarian Universalist Church in Reston, VA's leadership on the first PRIDE event in their community is groundbreaking work that inspired participation in the congregation as well as from neighboring faith communities.
Breakthrough Congregations for 2017-18
- UU Fellowship of Athens, GA is utilizing volunteer staff across generations, honoring their gifts and skills for congregational work.
- First Unitarian Church of Oakland, CA has a ground-breaking adaptation of religious education to meet the changing needs of their families.
- All Souls UU in Bellville, OH chose to overcome their fear and embrace the call of our faith to support the anti-racism work taking place in their community.
- UU Cong of Greater Lansing, MI is doing exciting cross-cultural work with the local Muslim community and has found vibrant ways to live our faith in partnership with them.
Thank you to all congregations who have applied. There is an abundance of inspirational stories to choose from. If you did not make it once, we encourage you to apply again in the future!