Management Skills for Leadership Development
Management Skills—one of the twelve recommended leadership development competencies—include:
- Basic skills to keep the congregation running smoothly and effectively.
- Understanding the fiscal responsibilities of leadership.
- Strong understanding of governance.
A sense of responsibility and commitment to the stewardship of the institutional aspects of the church, but with an understanding that the institution exists to serve the mission.
- Attend webinars.
- Attend district and regional trainings and conferences.
- Subscribe to leadership and church management blogs.
- Recruiting Volunteers (YouTube, 5:45): Do's and Don'ts
- How Do I Grow Thee? (YouTube, 5:47): Five Ways of Growing Your Congregation, Mark Bernstein
- Sticky Teams (YouTube, 1:13): Keeping Your Leadership Team and Staff on the Same Page by Larry Osborne
- Patrick Lencioni: Five Dysfunctions Of a Team (YouTube, 6:46): "The Absence of Trust"
- Patrick Lencioni: The Importance of Imporving Your Meetings (YouTube, 21:01)
- How to Spend Your Board's Time by Dan Hotchkiss
- How to Stop Having Stupid Staff Meetings by Karin Hurt
- A Discerner’s Guide to Congregational Governance by Dan Hotchkiss
- Controlling Conflicts of Interest (MP3) by Dan Hotchkiss
- Helping Committees Be Their Best by Robert Leventhal
- What's Missing in Strategic Planning by Jon R. Wallace
- Green Eyeshades and Rose-Colored Glasses by Dan Hotchkiss
- How to Talk About Finances So Non-Financial Folks Will Listen by The Bridgespan Group
- Balancing Passion with Math by Jon R. Wallace
- How to Know if There Are Toom Many People in Your Meeting by Harvard Business Review Staff
- Central Midwest District (CMWD) Webinar: Volunteer Management and Recruitment
- Conflicts of Interest (MP3) Dan Hotchkiss
- Leadership Starts Before Board Meetings by Don Skinner (podcast and article)
- Need More Volunteers? Try the Personal Approach by Don Skinner (podcast and article)
- Board Orientation by Don Skinner (podcast and article)
- To Say Thank You by Eunice Milton Benton (podcast and article)
- Creating Meetings that Matter, Mark Bernstein
- Organizational Health: A Powerful Advantage with Patrick Lencioni
- Robert's Rules and Meeting Management with Lisa Presley
- Unitarian Universalist (UU) University 2009: Lighting the Leadership Chalice: Governance (free registration required), Rev. Rob Eller-Isaacs, Co-Minister, Unity Church in St. Paul, MN; Laura Park, Principal, Unity Consulting
- UU Universityh 2009: Finding Our Commonwealth: Stewardship as Transformational Ministry, Rev. Cecilia Kingman, Rev. Jeanne Pupke, Minister; Keynote: Chuck Collins, Institute for Policy Studies
- Resource Library from the Management Center Includes sample agendas, delegation tools, role expectation templates, hiring guides, orientation guides, etc.
- Congregational Resource Guide
- Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) Congregational Management
- UUA Congregational Handbook
- Leading Congregations with consultant and UU Peter Bowden
- UUWIKI: Policy Based Governance document samples
Connect on Social Networks
- Leading Congregations on Facebook (with consultant and Unitarian Universalist (UU) Peter Bowden)
- Church Do's and Don'ts: Tips for Success, Pitfalls to Avoid by consultant and UU Michael Durall
- Big Ideas for Small Congregations: A Friendly Guide for Leaders by consultants and UUs Ellen Germann-Melosh, Jane Dwinnell
- Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable...About Solving the Most Painful Problem in Business by Patrick Lencioni
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.