General Assembly, like Unitarian Universalism, offers a wealth of theological diversity. A variety of worship choices are offered throughout GA. Traditionally, we begin each morning with a Daily Grounding Worship.
We are inviting proposals from organizations and worship leaders with experience and capabilities to self-produce a complete, high-quality, 45-minute worship service including music.
Proposals can be for a live worship (in-person or virtual) or for a fully pre-recorded video presentation. Select proposals will be featured in-person in Pittsburgh on Friday, June 23 and Saturday, June 24 at 11:00 a.m. EDT. These worship services can be either a live event or a live screening to an in-person audience of a prerecorded service. These worship services will also stream live to virtual registrants. Other proposals will be selected to be fully prerecorded and made available for on-demand viewing. The worship proposal deadline is Friday, January 13.
Worship proposals that encompass the following topics and characteristics will be given the greatest consideration:
- Worship that powerfully & effectively embodies the theme of GA by supporting diverse worship leaders in crafting transformational worship experiences.
- The theme for General Assembly 2023 is Faithfully Becoming. We continue to live in times of transition and change; so much is in flux. But times of significant change can also be moments of opportunity and possibility. Major shifts are happening. Our theology and our values as Unitarian Universalists are needed. We are at a threshold moment for our faith, and will choose the next path in our journey. Changes offer us possibilities for becoming more connected, courageous, inclusive, generous, and continuing our ongoing journey of becoming Beloved Community.
- Characteristics: Centering Diversity and Inclusion in worship, including a diverse representation of people contributing to the virtual worship experience.
- Characteristics: When applicable, excellent design and use of video, audio and music; a service that embodies the highest standards and best use of technology for online worship.
- Characteristics: Ministerial collaboration, Ministerial-Musician collaboration, Performance collaboration by partnering professionals and/or congregations.
As the primary contact for this worship service, if your proposal is accepted, it is your responsibility to ensure that copyright permissions have been obtained for any of the following that may be used in your final video (assistance is available from the GA Music Coordinator and GACS staff):
- Printed copies or electronic documents of text, music, or images.
- Playing recordings or live music (Please note that both the music/text and the recording can be under copyright).
- Display of music, text, images, or video on a screen.
- Reading/reciting text that is protected under copyright.
All worship scripts will go through a multi-lens script review by a task force assembled by the GA Planning Committee that will include the GA Worship Arts Team. The task force will conduct a comprehensive ARAOMC review by individuals in accountable relationship and/or members of historically & currently marginalized communities to make suggestions and recommendations about the impact of elements and language of the services.
- Friday, January 13 - deadline to propose a worship service.
- Friday, March 24 - deadline to submit speaker photos and bios for GA App and Program PDF.
- Monday, April 17 - deadline to submit choices for any music to be performed, played from recording, or sung congregationally.
- Monday, April 24 - deadline to submit your preliminary script for the review process.
- Friday, April 28 - deadline to deliver video of prerecorded worship service (if applicable).
- Monday, May 15 - deadline to submit requests for copyright permissions. All text quoted and music must be pre-approved by copyright consultant.
- Monday, May 22 - deadline to submit Order of Service.
- Monday, May 22 - deadline to submit finalized scripts and pre-recorded content for live worship.