Off-Site Delegate Participation in GA Business
Off-site delegate registration provides an alternative way for congregations to participate in the business of the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) when their delegates cannot physically attend General Assembly (GA).
Even if they cannot be physically present at GA, those eligible to serve as delegates can log in to the off-site delegate portal to participate in the business of GA. Pre-registration is required. Questions and technical support: delegatesupport [at] uua [dot] org.
In addition to the events available to Off-site Registrants, Off-site Delegates can:
- Vote online and speak during debate in General Assembly business sessions from home, office, or congregation, or as part of a congregational cluster.
- Listen to discussion and vote during business mini-assemblies.
All delegates are required to submit a certified GA credential from their congregation. An off-site delegate will count against a congregation's total number of delegates allowed; so off-site participation is not recommended for congregations that can send a full delegation to attend GA in person.
Congregations are encouraged to provide resources for off-site delegates (meeting space, computer, or Internet connection), as much as is possible.
Off-site delegates must:
- Represent a congregation certified for General Assembly.
- Obtain a delegate credential from the congregation (during the off-site registration process, the delegate will need enter unique ID information found on their credential).
- Complete a GA Off-site Registration.
- Have access to high speed internet (1.5 Mbps or greater).
- A desktop/laptop computer. Smartphones and tablets can be used as supplemental screens for streaming video, voting, or chatting, but they do not by themselves accommodate a full user experience. (Refer to our technical notes on streaming video and test your computer by playing video from the 2018 GA. If this video plays without pauses, your computer and Internet connection are adequate.)
- Be willing to download and use online voting software furnished by the UUA.
- Have an active email account.
- Log in to the Off-site Delegate Portal and submit your delegate credentials.
Registered off-site delegates will receive instructions via email regarding credentials and training.
Off-site delegates are also asked to furnish a photograph of their congregation’s banner for inclusion in the Virtual Banner Parade during the Opening Ceremony. If your congregation’s banner isn’t going to be physically present at GA you can send us a photo of your banner to delegatesupport [at] uua [dot] org, which we’ll display on the large screens in the plenary hall during the procession.
Please note the following:
- Please only send jpg or png files.
- Please send high-resolution images. Images under 500kb will be blurry or pixilated when displayed.
- Do not submit banner images that include people or your congregation’s building.
- We will crop and resize the image as necessary to fit the screens in the session hall.
- If your banner is physically present at GA, please do not submit a photo. Some congregations have a mix of on- and off-site delegates.