

GENERAL ASSEMBLY PLANNING COMMITTEE NOTES: SEPT. 15-19, 2004

The GA Planning Committee gathered on Sept. 15-19 at Pickett-Eliot House in Boston. Present: Linda Friedman (chair), Lillian Anderson, Ginger Brown, Elizabeth Collins, Betty Holcomb, Marc Loustau, Elisabeth McGregor, Brenda McKeon (District Coordinator), Kathryn McIntyre, Pat Solomon, Walter Wieder, Jan Sneegas (GA Office Manager). Also present and participating for portions of the meeting: Kat Manker-Seale, youth HUUPER for GA '05.

I. COMMITTEE ORGANIZATION AND POLICIES:

On Wed., Sept. 15, the committee convened for check-in. Walter Wieder was welcomed, filling the term of Carolyn Patierno. Betty Holcomb and Elizabeth Collins announced that they had not submitted their names for re-election; Lillian Anderson and Beth McGregor announced they had.

On Thursday, Sept. 16, the Planning Committee met with facilitators Tracey Robinson-Harris and Paula Cole Jones from 9-3 PM for a retreat on anti-racism and anti-oppression.

Planning Committee Covenant:

The Covenant adopted in April '04 was reviewed, and suggestions were made for additions. Two additional promises were added:

- Further the mission of the Association as our primary goal,
 - Work through an anti-racism, anti-oppressive, multicultural lens.
- The covenant as amended now reads:

GA Planning Committee Work and Relational Covenant

As working with candor is the foundation of a trusting, effective, and right relationship, we, the members of the GA Planning Committee renew our covenant with each other and affirm the following in our working and personal relationships with each other as we serve the General Assembly and the wider movement of Unitarian Universalism.

1. Treat each other with respect and trust and together, approach our common goals courageously.
2. Assume good will among all members of the committee and the GA staff.
3. Be present and prepared by following through with our commitments, reading necessary materials prior to our meetings, and asking for help when we need it.
4. Honor the process by constructing agendas so that there is ample time for discussion, debate, and visioning.
5. Honor dissent while agreeing to defer to the wisdom of the majority opinion.
6. Engage in practices of transparency internally and in the wider movement.
7. Support our leaders and teach each other the way of effective leadership within the context of this committee.
8. Shine light on our contributions by expressing our gratitude to each other clearly and often.
9. Temper our work with laughter so that we may be reminded of work as fun

10. Further the mission of the Association as our primary goal.
11. Conduct our work through an anti-racism/anti-oppressive multicultural lens.

Economic Accessibility Issues

We held an informal evening conversation and summarized it in formal session. We agreed to change the individual scholarship program to a matching grant program, matching a congregational contribution. This models the congregational involvement and responsibility we seek. Marc will bring a proposal to the January meeting. We should explore the issue of encouraging the youth office to carry this concept over to youth scholarships.

Corporate sponsorships will work only if we have a personal connection. It's a problem also because we're a religious organization, which makes sponsors wary. We can all look at who we know. We need to consider the marketing value we offer and what we can/will give them. We should also consult the Development Office.

We will gather all the economic accessibility information under one heading on one page of the GA website.

Visitors to Planning Committee:

We noted the helpfulness of Kat Manker-Seale, the youth HUUPER, to our discussions, in which we invited her to participate (not a standard observer role). As Secretary, Beth will see that observers are welcomed and have seating; will print up the observer policy and agenda and have them available for posting at meetings. Jan will ensure that an extra packet is available.

II. WORKING GROUP ORGANIZATION:

The Executive Committee slightly rearranged the task list for the Plenary/Opening-Closing and Constituencies/Services task group clusters. Members were encouraged to pick jobs in only one cluster of each pair insofar as possible. Committee of the Whole jobs are distinct and can be done in addition. [See chart at end of notes.]

We reviewed each job description, the person who held it last year briefing the group about tasks and time commitments before and during GA and people/groups they need to work with. We then asked people to sign up for tasks, and the Executive Committee made assignments.

III. REVIEW OF GA 2004

Outcome for 2004:

We were \$133,000 short on registration projections. Both income and expenses came in under; we came in \$25K short, applied \$11K carryover to reduce it. Purchase of registration software wasn't covered elsewhere; at second pass money was moved into that and we broke even.

Early Bird cost us \$100,000 in income because of its heavy use, along with some logistical problems and extra work. We had to discontinue it.

Average income per registrant with a \$260 registration fee is actually \$239, with the various discounts taken into account.

GA 04 Evaluations

We reviewed the electronic responses (around 380). There were no surprises. Sunday morning worship and the Ware lecture were big hits. It was recognized that the Service of the Living Tradition and the Closing Ceremony need work. There is always dissatisfaction with food; we keep trying. Positive response to presidents' program and covenant groups; general satisfaction with registration cost. The use of electronic evaluations did not reduce our response rate. 19% said congregations paid their registration; 61% of respondents paid all the costs of their attendance.

We need to keep measuring how well we're making GA more relevant to congregations. We'll look at how we can track the presidents and congregations who attend and return.

IV. PLANNING FOR GA 2005

TASK GROUPS

Assignment of Plenary and Opening/Closing Groups:

Opening and Closing: Betty, Marc, Kath, Walt, Lillian, Pat, Ginger

Plenary: Elizabeth, Beth, Linda; Ginger for ushers

We split into the two groups to coordinate tasks within them and identify coordination needed between them.

Task Group Summary Reports:

Plenary Task Group

We reviewed the grid changes.

Awards: Gini will cut some awards, have others presented only in their sponsor's workshop, 7 or 8 in plenary. Kath will coordinate with her.

Two worship slots to be filled; we want to discuss the process and ideas.

Ware Lecture: Melcher Committee could pick up lodging for Elaine Pagels if she accepts. We need to start pool of backup ideas for 05 and 06.

Stage design/tech: Elizabeth will attend the December site visit to Fort Worth.

Ginger will recruit usher coordinator.

UUMN: What's in the budget now is \$5000 total; their request is for additional 3 registrations.

Long Beach is the first year registrations were waived (2). We need to discuss.

We hoped that any plenary music coordinator cost can come from Moderator's budget.

Sun. service—We need to make sure details are attended to and our share of the budget is clear.

There is no free registration for the preacher, no compensation in our budget. We'll ask about local volunteers needed for greeting and ushering. We suggest that one or all of the local congregations could offer child care at their churches for younger kids. Should we request a quiet room? Elizabeth will broach the need for something for children somewhere given our theme.

Opening and Closing Task Group:

Lillian will direct the Opening Celebration, Kath coordinate new congregations welcoming, Pat prepare the script, Betty organize the banner parade.

Walt will direct the Closing Ceremony, Marc prepare the script, Ginger serve as tech support and choir liaison.

Brenda will get a volunteer for designing printed programs for Opening and Closing ceremonies.

Opening Concept brainstorm:

Short, polished, involve Bill Sinkford, have intergenerational chalice lighters, and elevate new Pathways congregation. 1st Plenary (Rules) comes first.

Possible theme: At the Table. A place at the table for all kinds of families. Ingathering. Pete Seeger cameo. Visuals of families, with visuals of Ft. Worth. Family band option.

Closing Concept brainstorm:

Leave people with a charge. Short, joyous, sing good familiar hymns, feature St. Louis.

Theme: Let's bring others to the table.

Installation of officers/committees could be done here or at the end of the last plenary; check this out with Gini.

Constituencies and Services Task Groups:

Constituencies:

Accessibility: Walt Wieder

Youth Caucus and Young Adults: Marc Loustau

Child Care, Day Camp and Young Fun: Betty Holcomb

Services:

Greening: Ginger Brown

Food Event: Lillian Anderson

Chaplains, Meditation Room, Crisis Center: Kathryn McIntyre

Evening Entertainment: Lillian Anderson

PC Program Monitoring: Linda Friedman

Evaluation: Elizabeth Collins

Ambiance: Beth McGregor, Elizabeth Collins, Pat Solomon (banners)

Orientation: Walt Wieder and Marc Loustau

Service Project: GingerBrown

Covenant Groups: Kathryn McIntyre

Feedback Session: Marc Loustau

Constituencies Task Group Report-Out:

Accessibility roles have been clarified.

The information for the orientation is already done; Walt will review

Kathy Murphy is the professional Young Fun volunteer again. We will add a charge for food for the children's programs.

Chaplains will be asked to lead children's worship.

Services Task Group Report-Out:

Greening plans are up in the air depending on what progress Amy Spatrisano makes with the Fort Worth convention center. We will ask the 7th Principle Project board about taking a role.

Intergenerational lunch: Lillian will be liaison with Family Matters Task Force.

Chaplains: Kath will work with district ministers' association to recruit chaplains. She will provide a contract to define chaplain's responsibilities. We will ask the crisis team to be on call

by chaplains or GA office. There are advantages to having a chaplain's room and hours as well as a cell phone/pager system; we will explore this. .

We'll offer one evening entertainment per night: 3 dances including one with invitation to local GLBT community via churches as recommended by Family Matters Task Force, 2 coffeehouses. We will check in with youth and young adults about sponsoring a dance and coffee house.

Recommendations for entertainment should go to Lillian Anderson.

Monitoring PC programs: We'll add a feedback form to be filled out by PC member.

Evaluation: Elizabeth will review the list of questions; we should look at it by January and bring suggestions. <http://www.surveymonkey.com/Report.asp?U=51291221549>

Covenant Groups: Kath will coordinate with Harlan Limpert.

Committee of the Whole Assignments:

Elections: Pat Solomon

Newsletter: Linda Friedman

Scholarships: Betty Holcomb and Elizabeth Collins

Site Search 09: Kathryn McIntyre

PC Sponsored programs: Ginger Brown, Marc Loustau, Lillian Anderson

Volunteer committee thank-you: Ginger Brown

GA Listserv/website oversight: Marc Loustau

GAMAC: Linda Friedman, Ginger Brown, Beth McGregor

Covenant Groups:

They have not asked for funds. They have requested dedicated rooms, which we're unable to provide. We will provide one room for an initial organizational gathering. They would like to be on the registration form. A separate flyer, to be returned to their own registration person, can be enclosed; it's possible we could add a check-off box on the registration and send the info on.

GA '05 Theme: We did straw polls among 'Ministering to Families,' 'Ministering to Families in Today's World,' 'Ministering to All Families,' and 'Ministering to Families in the Real World.' Split between 'Today's' and 'Real' World. The straw vote was tied, so it was tabled for revisiting later. There was significant discussion of the process, which isn't clear. At later revisiting, 'Today's World' received a majority; Linda will discuss this with Bill Sinkford.

GA Grid '05

This year, based on Linda and Gini's recommendation, a grid review meeting was reinstated, which met before this PC meeting. Participants were Gini Courter (Moderator), Linda Friedman (PC Chair) Jan Sneegas (Director, GA Office), Don Plante (GA office), Gordon Martin (Parliamentarian), Kay Montgomery (Exec VP), Jesse Jaeger (Director, Youth Office), Frank Wells III (CUUYAN).

We reviewed changes embodied in the proposed grid:

Thursday: restoration of plenary to adopt rules, addition of covenant group orientation.

Fri.: SAI Mini-assemblies and related CSW workshops in morning, slots 1 and 2.

Intergenerational lunch is early in the day and the GA. It's better than breakfast for youth, and a good time for kids. The breakfast wasn't popular with kids other than ones already in programs, but there are still good reasons to have such an intergenerational food event.

We need 11 program slots to fit the number of requests and rooms, so the grid is squeezed.

Sat: Business Mini-Assembly in Program slot 5 or 6, consolidation session in slot 7. Bridging ceremony moved later based on Young Adults request to have it right after plenary. This is the only plenary that won't have repeat programming opposite, because it's the keystone, with Bill and Gini's reports. Problem of lack of dinner break; only 1 hr (5-6) followed by 4 hrs in one hall. We'll probably be able to start plenary at 6:30 if no contested elections (½ hrs for dinner).

Sunday: Bill Sinkford is OK with earlier start of Sunday worship and later start of Ware Lecture. This was done to get two program slots in. Hymn Sing before the service is to fill a dead block of time and introduce the new songbook. UUMN wants to do this.

Monday: Youth worship was moved from Sunday to Monday. Putting it earlier in evening may encourage more adults to attend. Given the choice of before or after Monday plenary, the youth involved chose after.

We found out late that Pete Seeger must leave by 1 PM Friday. We may have to rearrange the grid, switch program 3 with plenary; program 3 goes to 12:30, worship 2:15, Plenary 2:45-5:15. Seeger would be in Program 2. Linda will check this out with Gini. Or we would change the Opening Ceremony to be more of a concert. We will empower the Executive Committee to make the final decision. Lillian will work with Jeff Kaufman on arrangements for Seeger's appearance.

2005 Budget Report:

Income

Estimates are based on projected 4200 attendees at average registration (\$239). Jan adjusted non-registration income upward based on past performance in '02 and '04.

Expenses

Cut out new election technology.

Leave printing budget where it is although we ran over in '04.

Equipment purchase line includes amortized cost of registration software.

Conference consultation is a wash, relates to GA office doing other conference registrations.

Financial aid was reduced because it was spent on a small number of people; priority is to serve the largest group.

Advertising budget cut will affect internal World advertising, but we will retain \$10K contribution to external advertising.

Environmental stewardship is a new line item to pay for the Greening program (contract with Meeting Strategies Worldwide).

We are cutting down to one screen in plenary to make \$20K reduction in AV cost.

Carry-over not paid or received in last FY has to be paid out of the current year budget.

Cut \$1000 each from Opening and Closing.

We are cutting Ware line in '05 based on Pagels acceptance with Melcher subsidy.

We're cutting Ambiance, and reducing our 60% subsidy to children's programs slightly.

Questions and discussion:

Can we ask CSW to take a cut? (\$8000 was cut by Finance Committee two years ago). PC should ask the CSW directly, perhaps consulting with Jerry Gabert first.

How will we avoid printing overage this year, if we're still expected to print the Sunday program? Jan feels that we lost money on IT snafus that won't be repeated, and we'll cut number of booklets printed.

We will charge parents a small food fee in child care.

Sales of tapes were down in Long Beach.

We will honor the need for single rooms for those PC members who are unable to share.

We are tax-exempt in Texas, not in California; we'll save a bit there.

We may not have to subsidize the intergenerational meal because we won't be forced to use the hotel catering, which will be a saving over Long Beach.

The local transportation item is uncertain; we have to decide if we're providing shuttle buses to the Worthington Hotel and dorm.

Is there potential for any other business sponsorships, as we've had with Church Mutual via Pat Moreland? Is it right to ask them again? People are willing to sponsor you if you can push their product onto your consumer group and they have clear benefit. We are too small a fish for most corporations. Fair Trade ran into problems with the convention center. The only way sponsorship is likely to work is if you have a personal connection.

UUMN request for \$800 additional. We need to explain to those we cut, or whose increases we don't award, that it's because we expect lower attendance at this GA. We can write into the contract that we will reimburse if they file their financial report and we have the income.

We agreed to absorb a cut of up to \$1500 in PC travel and lodging.

Jan has revised income and expense budget figures based on 02 and 04; to be safe, we should work with 4000-4100 attendees but can stretch to 4200 optimistically. \$91,000 cuts needed if we assume 4200; \$115,000 cuts if we assume 4100.

We agreed to adopt the budget as amended.

Planning Committee Sponsored Programs

Lillian, Marc and Ginger were the selection subcommittee

We got many requests for featured programs; we moved some to PC-sponsored programs with less funding, consulting with some of them about doing this.

Balancing the programs was difficult. We are underfunding most requests.

Featured programs include 'The Exonerated', Jerusalem Women Speak, Media Reform (Robert McChesney); partial funding for Tim Berners-Lee; if he's not available, for Healing Earth.

We have \$20,000 budgeted for all PC-sponsored programs.

We gave emphasis to funding congregations for PC sponsorship, versus affiliates or staff who have their own slot or other likely access already. We need to try to provide large spaces for some of them. We reviewed the program selection in terms of AR/AO and technical demands. We will have 10 sponsored programs at \$500 and 5 without funding.

We can give 2 unfunded program slots to Family Matters Task Force, in addition to OWL and Transracial Adoption funded programs. If we have an additional empty slot, the PC Exec can make the decision on how to allocate it.

Worship Leaders:

We need to fill two ½-hour plenary worship slots, Fri and Sat; youth-led worship and the Bridging Ceremony will fill the other two plenary worship slots. Gini would like to work with the worship leaders to coordinate worship with what is discussed in plenary. We should also try to incorporate the theme and consider the names/services that the Family Matters Task Force suggested. UUMN offered a musical worship. Can consult with UUMA; worship can also be led by religious educators and other non-ministers.

Possible criteria for selection: Theme, willingness to collaborate with moderator, brevity, diversity, known good preaching; some advantage to being local. Standard policy: Not UUA staff or others who already have high visibility at GA or have led a GA worship service recently. We do not compensate or offer free registration to worship leaders.

We will generate recommendations online before January meeting.

Request for a Phone Bank at GA '05

We discussed a proposal from Laurel Hallman for a phone bank to invite area residents to worship. Cost would be roughly estimated by Jan at \$6000 for phones, \$6500 for calls, plus rooms and GA office time to set up. We could help enable the local congregations or district to do it, but we can't take it on. There was a range of reactions to the concept. The Board will also want to weigh in on this; we would like their and the President's feedback. Jan will get more information on cost. We took a straw poll on whether, practical concerns aside, we would allow it to happen and help facilitate it; a majority said yes. But we don't feel that organization and funding are entirely our purview. We would need a concrete plan, including a funding plan, from the proposers. This is an issue both of boundaries of responsibility and of cost.

Service Project Proposal:

Brenda reported that all three area UU churches work with interfaith agencies to provide emergency services, and have representation on their boards. These agencies have social workers, food pantries, school supply drives, support structures. In the booth would be samples of what could be bought for specific amounts of money. We can also have people go one day to work at Tarrant County Food Bank (age criteria and no sandals). We don't have to raise money in the booth as well as in the Sunday service, but it's good to give people opportunities to give.

Event Request Forms

Jan reminded all committee members to complete event request forms for all programs we're responsible for, preferably by December and absolutely by Feb. 1, preferably online. They will be available on the website fairly shortly.

REPORTS TO THE PLANNING COMMITTEE

Report of GAMAC (GA and the Mission of the Association Committee):

The committee met all day on Sept. 14. It consists of President Bill Sinkford, Moderator Gini Courter; Board of Trustees representatives Eva Marx and Will Saunders; Board-Planning

Committee liaisons Pat Solomon and Kathryn McIntyre; Planning Committee members Linda Friedman, Ginger Brown, and Beth McGregor; and GA Manager Jan Sneegas. Ginger Brown and Beth McGregor reported on the meeting, which focused on multiple areas of coordinating GA with UUA mission, goals, programs. Questions arose around the PC's role in choosing GA themes; PC discussion and vote was recommended to confirm the themes of 'Ministering to Families in the Real World' in '05 and 'Right Relations' in '06.

Board of Trustees Liaison Report to the Planning Committee

Pat Solomon reported on the post-GA Board debriefing on GA.

The Board would like to see an economic accessibility plan. The Planning Committee can take the lead in the discussion but must involve others. We're working on concrete actions. The Board suggested returning repeatedly to the best sites, but there are multiple problems with this. Conditions and rates change at each site, and it would not spread the wealth and work of local organization and participation among congregations in all districts.

There's a desire to use union or living-wage employees. We do a Project Equality audit. The Board wants to ensure that we acknowledge the local culture; we'll discuss this in January. They requested availability of AA/Friends of Bill meetings. Rather than onsite meetings, we will provide information about local meetings. Kath will check in with Nan Moore of BCD about services she can provide to youth and young adults.

GA Office Report:

Jan Sneegas introduced Lorna Gilbert's new role as Conference Services Assistant. She reported that they have moved forward as the Office for Conferences, and are handling registration/housing for Large Church Conference in February. They will charge for registration services on a per-participant basis; for other services (site visits etc.) on a per-diem basis. This doesn't affect the allocation of staff salaries to GA. It's still in a test stage. It's possible it could become a revenue generation that could offset our costs. The office can't handle any additional registration work in January-April.

Fort Worth: The hotel situation is still in flux. Jan visited in summer and ruled out booking a block in the Ramada Inn because of its poor condition; people will find it on their own. We're adding a nearby 80-room motel to the housing list. The Convention and Visitors Bureau can't handle our volume; this led us to consider going to an external vendor; we're looking at two. Fort Worth did not build the new hotel that was promised; we have no contracted suites. The Ashton, a pricey boutique hotel, has given a proposal to use the entire hotel for \$187 per night, but it's non-smoking, has no complimentary rooms, will have expensive services, and must be pre-paid. The Worthington is far away. The Planning Committee may need to have meeting space in the Convention Center, or in the Ashton, or rent meeting space from the nearby Community College. Greening: The resistance in Fort Worth was strong; there is currently no recycling at the convention center. Amy Spatrisano is trying to work for institutional change city-wide; if it fails we're back to an individual-conference basis. This is a hot topic in the conference world; we are on the cutting edge and need to make that known publicly.

Calendar: We'll meet next Sept. on the 14th, not 21st, 2005 (Wed-Sun).

The December 1-4 advance Ft. Worth trip will include only Elizabeth from the PC.

Volunteer Committee Report:

Brenda reported on the people she has recruited as volunteer chairs. Volunteer Coordinator – Kathy Calhoun, Service Project – Myrtle McMahan, Administrative Assistant – Kathy Charles, Accessibility – Patty Knipstein, Special Events – tentatively Lori Lass, and Information Services – tentatively Mickey and Victoria Oxford. The first Volunteer Committee meeting will be in December when Jan is there; another meeting in February and one with the Planning Committee during its April visit, which unfortunately coincides with District meeting in Plano. We've met with the area clergy already; perhaps we should send someone to the District meeting.

DISCUSSIONS WITH OTHERS

Service of the Living Tradition:

Rev. David Hubner, Director of Ministry and Professional Leadership, reported that the sermon would be given by Rev. Patrick O'Neill, and that Scott Prinster would coordinate the service. The ambiance volunteers will coordinate with Scott. Time will be Friday 8:30-10 PM, vs. 8-9:30 in '04. There is plenty of room in the arena, and we will add dimmable lights. Walt Wieder will be PC liaison. Hubner promised the service would not run over 90 minutes as it did in '04 (an overrun is costly due to tech staff overtime requirements.) They will drop the choir processional and some speeches. Jan requested that the MPL Department file an event request form by Feb. 1, requesting all stage furniture needed. She will include the SLT chalice in the request to the fire marshal for open flames.

We reviewed the '04 service and recommendations for '05. We discussed the need to keep it both worshipful and relevant to a lay audience. Wayne Arnason has sent a letter to the Board and UUMA about how to better control audience behavior (cheering, whistling etc), and Hubner has discussed with Bill Sinkford and others how to make the service more a true worship and less like a graduation. The service will be reorganized with this in mind, perhaps beginning with the roll call of the deceased, and also adding a congregational hymn. (GAPC needs to know all hymns in advance in order to coordinate and avoid repetition.)

The Sunday worship service will be planned by a different committee, under Bill Sinkford's supervision. Rob Hardies will preach. Elizabeth will check with the Sunday worship leaders about also coordinating with Prinster. Lillian emphasized the importance of 'spreading the wealth,' getting a variety of participation, not using the same musicians etc.

UU Musicians Network:

Beth Norton, President-elect of UUMN, presented the contract worked out with the PC and the issues involved. They tried to be more detailed in defining budget and responsibilities. They would like three free registrations, two choir directors and one accompanist; they feel three people is a good standard. (The third registration is being added.)

UUMN has selected the choir directors, Jason Shelton and Jean Gagne. Kath raised the need for Planning Committee collaboration; we need to ensure they can work well with the PC and adapt to the needs and vision of GA. Last year was a hard year in that regard. This year they've chosen conductors involved with the new hymnal supplement. The contract or other communication needs to make clear the expectation of interaction with the PC; the contract currently doesn't specify it, but it has added language that the program content should complement the closing theme and reflect our diversity. It's important for accompanists to understand that their first priority is accompanying plenary worship, and need to be there early to interact with the worship

leader. Worship leaders and the accompanist should communicate before GA. The calendar of deadlines has been updated.

Proposal for new position of Plenary Music Leader/Coordinator (including worship) to make best use of music, prevent repetition, lead music. This was done unofficially this year with Kevin Tarsa. Responsibilities would deserve paying registration and expenses; we can't do it this year but would hope to establish the position without funding with a plan to fund it next year. We agreed the concept is good. We approve of the idea and at some point may be able to fund this.

The UUMN would like help publicizing their invitation to provide musicians to sponsors of other worship. We agreed we could put this information in the packet sent to sponsors. We don't object to their including a recommended fee schedule. Lillian will communicate with them.

We still need UUMN budgetary report on Long Beach.

Family Matters Task Force:

Keith Kron and Pat Hoertdorfer, co-chairs of the Family Matters Task Force, came to discuss implementing the family values theme at GA 05. Handed out thoughts on what would make a family-friendly GA. Have intergenerational events. Highlight programs with family theme. Identify tourist attractions for families. Exhibit "Families of Many Colors." Resources give particular attention to GLBT, interracial and interfaith families.

They propose to have something intergenerational or about family values every day:
Opening suggestions: Have family light chalice. Keep it short, lots of music, intergenerational.
Friday (or other day): Requesting 2 additional adult double-program slots: family values and ethics, ministry to families.

Sat (or other day): Dance open to local GLBT community (via tickets given to congregations).

Sun.: Service including family values focus. Their preferred day for intergenerational meal.

Mon: Additional program slots (8 total during GA).

Asked for one of the plenary worship services to celebrate families (Suggestions: 'Holy Families,' Mary Harrington; Lynn Ungar, Mike Morran, Gail Seavey, Dan Kanter).

Conference call with President Bill Sinkford:

Ware Lecture-No response yet from Elaine Pagels. Kofi Annan a possibility for '06.

We will need to adjust to the political climate depending on election outcome.

Don't pick the theme of the Sunday service before the November elections.

Theme. Generations of Faith/Family Values; Living our Family Values; Ministering to Families in the Real World. He prefers third.

Theme for 06 "Toward Right Relations" was generally agreed on.

How do we institutionalize theme creation/selection process? Discussed use of GAMAC.

Extra time slots for Family Matters task force (split sponsoring between PC and staff).

Money matters—have we agreed on who is covering the Congregational Presidents free registration cost overrun if any? Will use existing GA reserve, will ask those who can afford it or churches already subsidize to not ask for reimbursement. We'll define this as a 5-year effort to change congregational culture around supporting delegates, at which time subsidy will end.

Will there be an offering taken at a Plenary? Bill says it's highly likely.

Problems with Closing Ceremony; Bill felt it unrelated to GA. It needs to be a celebration of the GA experience and call to return to congregations carrying it back. We agree.

What guidance do we need to give speakers about political speech (candidate or party endorsement)? Kay will provide legal opinion and if need be a sheet to give speakers. New Songbook—We should give the launch exposure, have GA sing some of the songs. We want congregations to buy the book; good for them and financially important to the UUA.

Discussion with Moderator Gini Courter:

Gini thanked the committee for their work, and complimented the success of GA 04. She envisions synchronizing worship with plenary content to help create themes for the day. The worship should help prepare people for the work ahead. Also, we turn to parish ministers; have never had a worship service by lay people, don't model shared ministry. On Worship leaders, consult with all professional organizations, not just UUMA; include LREDA, UUMN. Awards. We shouldn't do many of them, including some of the 2/3 given by staff and the Unsung UU awards. Others should be done in their appropriate workshop or organization annual meeting. Only a key few will be done in plenary this year. Camera work request: during CSW discussions she would prefer to not be on the screen. We will put the major programs on the grid when we send it out to sponsors, so they can see where they're up against a major program like Pete Seeger when they request times.. She was surprised that people complained about putting the President too late in the Friday Plenary and that some had left. Bill would prefer a smaller part in the Opening this year. Bill and Gini will report in the Sat. night "prime time" plenary. The Closing Celebration was disappointing. There is a problem with the authority of UUMN over it. The focus cannot be a choir concert; they need a different venue if they want to sing that much. The focus has to be on sending people forth inspired. GA Plenary content: Nancy Lawrence will take responsibility for collecting all the responses, script and Powerpoint materials to the PC, Moderator, etc. in one place. The presenters will be responsible for scheduling rehearsal time with Elizabeth. We don't need a volunteer to get people lined up at the plenary stage ramp; Nancy Lawrence will do it. There was too much Powerpoint in plenary. We'll skip the slides that introduce speakers. Deb Weiner will still do Powerpoint before the Opening with images from the Southwest District; she needs them by mid-May. We should do this every year. Get clarity about streaming video in contract with Pete Seeger; make sure it's OK. When we block big periods of sitting time we need to be sure to have energy breaks. The Planning Committee needs to know when the Congregational Presidents are meeting so we can arrange mini-assemblies and featured programs accordingly. We'll know by Feb. 1 whether we'll have contested elections, thus a candidate forum.

Discussion of the power of the Planning Committee in relationship to other groups:

It was clear in the grid meeting that they were creating a strong recommendation to the Planning Committee. It comes to us with the investment of multiple constituencies. GAMAC was called by Bill; it's critical to help us move together forward. But the Planning Committee members come with a budget and are expected to speak for it, where Board members aren't. The GAMAC also evolved between the two meetings; originally, decisions were not to lie within it, only recommendations to the PC and Board, and in the Sept. 14 meeting decisions started to be made. It seemed to participants that Bill wanted it to be a decision-making body; it worked best for him and gave him the most input, especially to the Planning Committee. There

wasn't adequate preparation and agenda. The PC needs to feel ownership of the decisions, since we're on the firing line at GA. Not all Bill's suggestions were accepted.

The first meeting occurred at a time when budgets were not in people's heads, so it was easier to be more long-range and expansive, but it was very present in the room in September so tended to be immediate. Most committees meet quarterly, so the speed of processing things through multiple bodies is slow, it's hard to respond to new opportunities and create change. Thus it's important for committee chairs to feel empowered to speak for their committees. The committees need to give the authority to their leaders. Groups that can't do that will be disadvantaged.

An advance agenda would give the chair time to pre-discuss with the committee or at least the executive committee, and would bring clarity about who has to sign off on decisions made by the group, and what decisions the group is authorized to make on the spot. Decide up front what goes on the consent agenda. Marc raised the question whether all GAMAC items couldn't be handled during the regular PC cycle. Gini's response was that GAMAC's function was to be able to ask where items fell within the overall priorities of the Association. The PC is set up to be triangulated by staff (or board, youth, or Bill) without the overall picture. Marc—shouldn't we use the PC Executive Committee instead of a special subcommittee?

On theme: The PC wants input on broad mission and priorities yielding general themes; it's then up to PC to do the specifics. In addition to any transient topical themes, the pulse under it is always "GA: A Meeting of Congregations." A theme is useful for marketing and media. Gini feels it's worth doing a GAMAC meeting again in January, as long as it's not a decision-making body. Kath noted that GAMAC's decision about the '06 theme made it much easier for the Planning Committee to make an informed, respectful response to the 7th Principle Project theme request. What worked is that a subset of the PC were able to get clarity from the Board and administration and bring that perspective to the PC's attention. Things from that meeting will have to come back to the Board or the PC. It's also a chance for collective long-range vision and mission work.

'Who owns GAMAC?' is a question for Gini and Bill to work on. Gini apologized for the lack of an advance agenda this time, with a chance to add items and discuss ahead of time. All the bodies want some control of where they empower their leaders; where 'you can decide and we'll back you', where 'we want it to come back.' If we can get this together shortly after GA '05, we can do another at this time in Sept. '05. Behind what may look like turf anxiety is this reality: We are rooted in a polity that gives us different specific tasks; we can collaborate, but none of us can give away our specific authority because in doing so we give away our accountability.

Meeting with 7th Principle Project Board

Claudia Kern, 7th Principle chair, expressed pleasure at our Greening initiative and offered to help and join in the journey, collaborating on what we're doing with greening at GA.

They desire to bring a large-scale participatory event to GA 06 that would engage a large number of people, including local community, and draw media attention, like the Walk through Time.

There are indoor and outdoor options for the Walk through Time. They could try and partner with St. Louis congregations, or look to corporate or university sponsorship. Probably \$8-10,000 cost. An 'Art for the Sky' outdoor participatory event is also a possibility, and less costly.

7th Principle Project could help bring environmental groups into the exhibit area to raise awareness and provide tools. They recommended kinesthetic, artistic avenues of expression and nature-related displays to help enrich worship.

We noted that we can use advice in helping to see all our decisions through a greening lens, along with the other lenses we need to bring like accessibility and anti-oppression. They would like to have a Ware speaker that would connect to the SAI piece on global warming. This could also be done in major program slots, though some of their candidates would need more than \$3000. A panel of eco-theology thinkers could be convened to create a presentation. They would need budgetary support for some of them. We reviewed the schedule and options for getting onto the program in various ways. We recommend they investigate a service project with an environmental focus for GA '06 and propose it to District Coordinator Patsy Madden. For GA 2005, they suggest engaging people in an environmental pledge; put this in GA materials somewhere. Amy Spatrisano sees potential in this. We'd like them to start finding environmentally-oriented exhibitors; the congregations would appreciate this, especially those that helped them green their congregations. We suggest that they help our churches bring greening home; provide lists of suggestions. We want to let UU's know we're doing the Greening initiative; they can help us spread the word. They can also assist the local UU churches' work on community development. Nuts and bolts at Fort Worth: Could they take a role, in connection with grassroots local movements and local UU congregations, on recycling at GA, which the Convention Center currently doesn't provide? They are willing to do some legwork. We appointed Ginger Brown as PC liaison/contact person with 7th Principle Project. We suggested keeping an eye on 2007 in Portland for environmental programming.

GA 2006

District Coordinator:

We approved the appointment of Patsy Sherrill Madden as District Coordinator for '06.

Theme for 2006:

The general proposal from GAMAC is 'Toward Right Relations', which could encompass the 7th Principle Project and other things that are strongly in our mission now, including right relations with congregations, development of the congregational role in GA, and the Commission on Appraisal report on living with theological diversity.

We found many good things in the 7th Principle Project, but their recommended environmental theme was too narrow to be the sole theme of an entire GA. However, Betty suggested that in the long run if we focused one GA on each of the seven principles in turn, we would over time educate our children (and ourselves) well in our UU identity.

Ware Lecture visioning

Lillian raised the possibility of opening the Ware Lecture to the public in some way. If so, it would have to be moved to a separate venue. Jan feels we'd have to make it ticketed and guarantee all registrants a seat. It would also require a longer planning time.

In Fort Worth, we could probably offer a limited number of tickets, probably through congregations, to Pagels or another event. Is the goal to get more local congregants to attend, or to use it as outreach and publicity? They could be used as a recruiting tool ('invite a friend' angle). We should talk to Bill Sinkford about it. We wouldn't have to print tickets for all

attendees, but could issue a small number of ticketed invitations. Could we give this to the local growth initiative group? Using the Ware Lecture might make us lose Sunday registrations, which costs us money. We agree it's a theoretically promising idea, but if we want to pursue this, a subcommittee has to explore all the ramifications, including financial. Kath, Betty and Beth will be subcommittee to pursue how's, what's and effects and report in January.

SUMMARY OF MOTIONS:

1. GA District Coordinator '06.

Moved to accept the nomination of Patsy Madden as District Coordinator for GA 2006

(M-McIntyre, P)

Action: Linda will inform Patsy and the District President

2. Planning Committee Covenant

Moved to add two more promises to the covenant:

10. To further the mission of the Association as our primary goal,

11. To work through an anti-racism, anti-oppressive multicultural lens.

(M-Holcomb, P)

Action: Jan will amend and distribute the covenant.

2. Circulating UUMN information

Moved to allow the UUMN the opportunity in materials we distribute to offer their services to Workshop sponsors at their fee schedule.

(M-Holcomb, P)

Action: Lillian will inform Beth Norton; Jan will include information in packet.

3. Ware lecture

Moved, to approve the invitation of Kofi Annan as the Ware Lecturer for 2006.

(M-McGregor, P)

Action: Ware lecture committee will inform Bill Sinkford

4. Covenant Group Registration

Moved, that the Planning Committee will provide a room which the covenant groups will use for an initial gathering at GA.

(M-Loustau, P)

Action: Kath will contact Harlan Limpert

5. GA Theme 05

Moved, that the Planning Committee recommend a theme title for GA 05 of 'Ministering to Families in Today's World.'

(M-McGregor, P)

Action: Linda will communicate with Bill Sinkford

6. UUMN Budget Request

Whereas the budget for GA 2005 needs to be cut, and the UUMN line is currently \$5000, the Planning Committee agrees to pay the UUMN \$5000 to be distributed for Choir Director and Accompanist costs. The request for an additional \$830 will be considered after General Assembly, when the UUMN has turned in a financial report to the Planning Committee and the financial results of the GA have been assessed.

(M-Collins, P)

Action: Linda will communicate with Beth Norton of UUMN.

7. GA 2005 Budget

Moved that the Planning Committee adopt the budget as amended.

(M-Loustau, P)

Action: Jan will send a copy to the Treasurer and Finance Committee for approval at the October Board meeting.

8. GA Grid

Moved, that the Planning Committee adopt the schedule grid for GA 05 as designed by the grid task force and reviewed at this meeting, with allowance for adjustments to the Thursday evening and Friday schedules to accommodate a Pete Seeger concert. The Executive Committee is authorized to make a final decision on grid adjustments.

(M-McGregor, P)

Action: Linda will communicate with Gini, Exec Committee will finalize, office will publicize.

9. GA Grid Thanks

Moved that the Planning Committee express gratitude to all those who assisted us in designing the GA 2005 schedule grid.

(M-Loustau, P)

Action: Linda will write a thank-you note.

10. Banner hanging policy

Moved, that only congregational and district banners which have the required sleeve at the top will be accepted for hanging by the Planning Committee at GA '05. Associate, affiliate, and sponsored organizations are invited to join in the banner parade and to hang their banners in their display or meeting area if they wish.

(M-McGregor, P)

Action: Beth and Pat will write statement for Jan to add to website and mailing by November.

11. GA 2005 Service Project

Moved to accept in full the proposal presented by the 2005 District Coordinator for the 2005 GA Service Project, Funding Interfaith Agencies.

(M-Brown, P)

Action: Brenda to notify the district, Ginger contact Meg Riley.

12. Fee for Food during Children's Programs at GA

Moved, to establish a \$35 fee for partial subsidy of food for children ages 6-12. No food from outside may be brought into the child care areas.

(M-Holcomb, P)

Action: Jan will forward to Board for action in October

13. PC-Sponsored Programs.

The

Planning Committee approves the recommendations of the programs subcommittee as follows:

5 featured programs (\$13,500)

10 PC-sponsored funded programs (\$5500)

6 PC-sponsored program slots

for a maximum total of \$19,000.

(M-Loustau, P)

Action: Ginger and Marc will contact the applicants. Linda will contact Kay Montgomery, Keith Kron and Pat Hoertdorfer about slots for Family Matters TF.

14. Theme for GA '06

Moved that the GAPC accept a theme along the lines of "Toward Right Relationship" for GA 2006.

Action: Board liaisons will inform Board and President

15. Phone bank proposal for inviting local people to UUism at GA

Moved, that although the PC supports the idea of a phone bank occurring at GA to attract people to UUism, the proposal we received has too few specifics and the PC has no money in the budget to support this effort in 2005. The PC reserves judgment about whether it would financially support such a project in the future, pending input from the Board of Trustees and the UUA Development office, and more financial specifics.

(M-Collins, P)

Action: Linda will communicate with Laurel Hallman (the proposer) and the Development Office, Board liaisons will talk to the Board, and Jan will research cost information.

16. Plenary song leader

Moved that the Planning Committee endorse the idea of a plenary music coordinator. We will not fund this position for GA 2005, but will consider this position in budget allocations for future years if requested.

(M-Loustau, P)

Action: Linda will contact Beth Norton and Moderator

17. Change in Scholarship Funding Procedure

Moved, that the scholarship program be changed to call forth congregational support of GA delegates, moving toward a matching grant program. Changes will be made at the January meeting.

(M-Holcomb, P)

Next Meetings: Jan. 6-9, 2005, St. Louis, MO; April 7-10, 2005, Fort Worth, TX

2005 PC TASK GROUPS & LIAISONS

September, 2004

Task Group	Liaison
<u>PLENARY HALL</u>	<i>Elizabeth</i>
Agenda/Script	<i>Linda</i>
Awards	<i>Kath</i>
CSW Liaison	<i>Linda</i>
Mini- Assemblies/ Consolidation	<i>Linda</i>
Stage Design	<i>Elizabeth, Beth</i>
Technology	<i>Elizabeth, Beth</i>
Ushers	<i>Ginger</i>

Hymn Coordinator	<i>Elizabeth</i>
UU Musicians Network	<i>Lillian</i>
Ware Lecture	<i>Pat, Beth</i>
Sunday Morning Service	<i>Elizabeth</i>
SLT	<i>Walt</i>
<i>Elizabeth/Beth</i>	<i>Elizabeth, Pat</i>
<i>Elizabeth/Beth</i>	<i>Elizabeth</i>
Opening with Banner	<i>Lillian :Director</i> <i>Pat: Script</i> <i>Kath: New Con</i> <i>Betty: Banner</i>
Closing	<i>Walt: Director</i> <i>Marc: Script</i> <i>Ginger: Tech Support</i>

SERVICES	<i>Ginger</i>
Greening	<i>Ginger</i>

Food Event	<i>Lillian</i>
Chaplains, Spiritual Practices, Meditation, Crisis Center	<i>Kath</i>
Evening Entertainment	<i>Lillian</i>
Monitoring, Evaluation, Feedback Session	<i>Betty, Elizabeth, Marc</i>
	<i>Pat, Beth</i>
Service Project	<i>Ginger</i>
Covenant Groups	<i>Kath</i>

Task Group	Liaison
<u>CONSTITUENCIES</u>	<i>Marc</i>
Accessibility	<i>Walt</i>
Young Adult	<i>Marc</i>
Child Care	<i>Betty</i>
Day Camp	<i>Betty</i>

Young Fun	<i>Betty</i>
Youth Caucus	<i>Marc</i>
Orientation	<i>Marc, Walt</i>

COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE

	<i>Liaison</i>
Recept. for next host district	<i>Patsy</i>
Exhibit for next GA site	<i>Patsy</i>
Kickoff breakfast	<i>Brenda</i>
PC closing breakfast	<i>Brenda</i>
PC opening dinner	<i>Brenda</i>
Volunteer Committee	<i>Brenda/ Linda</i>
Volunteer Comm. thank you (PC & VC only)	<i>Ginger</i>
GA Listserve/Website	<i>Marc</i>

	<i>Liaison</i>
Elections	<i>Pat</i>
Newsletter & Opening, Closing Programs	<i>Linda</i>
Scholarships	<i>Betty, Elizabeth</i>
Site search 09	<i>Elizabeth ?Kath?</i>
PC sponsored programs	<i>Ginger, Marc, Lillian</i>
GAMAC	<i>Linda, Jan Beth, Ginger</i>

