New England Region
The New England Region is the smallest geographical area with the highest concentration of Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) member congregations in the US. We are four districts, six states, 231 congregations that are served by a single integrated regional staff team, with expertise in every area of congregational life. Visit New England Region's website to learn about events, support services, and other regional information.
Contact our main office at (617) 948-6415, email newengland [at] uua [dot] org or contact an individual staff member listed below.
Regional Staff Contacts
Our staff are often the first and primary source of support, counsel and information for lay and professional leaders. We offer more than 40 learning events every year. Our contacts and specialty areas are shown below. Please call anyone on the team to ask a question or request services.
- Rev. Sue Phillips, New England Regional Lead
sphillips [at] uua [dot] org, (617) 948-4372
- Hilary Allen, Innovation and Growth
hallen [at] uua [dot] org, (617) 948-4257
- Karen Bellavance-Grace, Support of Small Churches & Congregational Collaborations
kbellavancegrace [at] uua [dot] org, (617) 948-4258
- Joy Blanchette, Regional Administrator
jblanchette [at] uua [dot] org, (617) 948-6415
- Dawn Casstevens, Events and Communications Coordinator
dcasstevens [at] uua [dot] org, (617) 948-6429
- Meck Groot, Operations Director | Justice Ministries
mgroot [at] uua [dot] org, (617) 948-6414
- Judy Murray, Bookkeeper
jmurray [at] uua [dot] org, (617) 948-6431
- Joe Sullivan, Stewardship | Peer Facilitator Program
jsullivan [at] uua [dot] org, (617) 948-4383
- Kim Sweeney, Faith Formation | Safe Congregations
ksweeney [at] uua [dot] org, (617) 948-4297
Though the New England Region is served by a single regional staff team, each district maintains its own board with fiduciary responsibilities. In April of 2016, two districts, Clara Barton and Massachusetts Bay, voted to begin the process of dissolution over the next year. Covenanted relationships guide our work together as New England's four districts and regional staff live and grow into new forms of organization.
- Ballou Channing District (BCD) includes forty-five congregations from Rhode Island, southeastern Massachusetts, including the South Shore, Cape Cod and the Islands.
- Clara Barton District (CBD) incudes sixty-three congregations from central and western Massachusetts, and all but the southwest corner of Connecticut.
- Massachusetts Bay District (MBD) includes fifty-three congregations from Greater Boston and Northeast Massachusetts.
- Northern New England District (NNED) includes seventy congregations from Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont.