Video Tips and Examples for Unitarian Universalist Congregations
Video can be used in a variety of ways to help Unitarian Universalist congregations reach people beyond their doors. The video above, from the First Unitarian Church of Providence, Rhode Island, is a great example of introducing your minister and director of religious education.
When you watch this brief video, you may note the following positive characteristics:
- The video is less than two minutes long. Shorter videos are more likely to be watched.
James and Cathy start speaking immediately in this video; there is no lead-in.
- They speak clearly, slowly, and with expression.
- They exude friendliness and warmth.
- They look at the camera.
- The video is not shaky; the camera was on a tripod or some other stable surface.
- The video has all of these qualities without being a complex production: It’s filmed in one single, beautiful location. There’s no image slideshow, background music, or special effects.
Many Unitarian Universalist congregations have made videos to welcome newcomers, and some are more complex than others. The following YouTube videos are recent examples of the creative ways our congregations are doing this:
- First Unitarian Church of Rochester, NY
- North Parish Unitarian Universalist Church
- Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington, VA
- Unitarian Universalist Society: East
We hope these examples help to inspire your congregation to create your own welcoming video!
For more information contact email@example.com.