Podcasting for Unitarian Universalists
Podcasts are an increasingly popular format for sharing stories, information, and interviews. Check out these podcasts created by Unitarian Universalists (UUs) and learn more about how you can start podcasting, too.
- Fortification is a podcast from Standing on the Side of Love about the spiritual lives and spiritual sustenance of leaders in social justice movements.
- The Pamphlet is a podcast uncovering Unitarian Universalism’s hidden histories. New episodes available every two weeks.
- UU Perspectives is a weekly podcast about Unitarian Universalists.
- Divign Thinking offers café conversations with special guests.
- Be Spiritual is a conversational podcast about the spiritual journeys of many thoughtful and interesting people.
Other Audio Resources
Some congregations record sermons and worship services and share them as podcasts. Check individual congregation websites or do a quick internet search to discover many Unitarian Universalist sermon podcasts.
UU World offers audio recordings of selected articles from their magazine free of charge. Learn more about listening to UU World, as read by Texas Unitarian Universalist, Don Hymel.
Help Starting Your Own Podcast
Here are some suggestions to help you get started with your own podcast.
- Find your voice and build a niche for your podcast. Check out what's already being done in Unitarian Universalist podcasting and find ways to differentiate your content and provide your audience with something new.
- There is some technical knowledge needed. There are step-by-step guides available online to help, like About.com's "How to Make a Podcast Feed from Blogger" and Lifehacker's "How to Start Your Own Podcast."
- There are copyright implications for sharing others' content. You are responsible for observing those restrictions. The Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) has a resource to help navigate some common copyright issues related to worship, but be prepared for complexity and some costs.
- Promoting your podcast is essential to helping people find it online. Consider sharing individual podcasts via social media or otherwise develop a social media presence for your podcast to generate interest and reach your audience.