Adolescence is a time of developing identity including articulating their faith and beliefs, expressing their full selves, and claiming their identity as a Unitarian Universalist. Supporting this important developmental work is key to UU youth ministry.
Unitarian Universalist Identity
- Coming of Age is a program where young people learn more about Unitarian Universalism and articulate their own beliefs
- Tapestry of Faith curriculum A Place of Wholeness is for older youth
- Can UU’s believe anything they want?
- James Luther Adams’ Five Smooth Stones or the re-articulation as the Five Jagged Rocks provide a core for exploration of UU belief
Bringing Our Full Selves
- Queer youth, queer allies, queer youth of color, LGBTQ+ Survival Guide: Trump Edition
- Trans and non-binary congregational inclusion, trans inclusion, gender identity resources
- Resources for youth of color, Supporting youth and young adults of color, Thrive Leadership school, Diverse Revolutionary UU Multicultural Ministries for UU’s of color, Black Lives of UU. Crowdsourced Self-Care/Collective-Care for young people of color.
- Accessibility and Disability, EqUUal Access advocates for inclusion of UU’s with disabilities, Inclusion of Youth and Children with Special Needs (PDF), Video: How the Blind See Beauty
- UU Class Conversations
Activities for Local Programs
- Workshop on Building Inclusive Community (PDF)
- Workshops for youth on identity formation including white identity formation, youth of color, gender and sexual orientation, multiracial families, and youth struggling with addiction.
- Connect your local youth and young adults of color to UUA communications. Rev. Elizabeth Nguyen sends monthly emails including spiritual practice, readings, and her own direct message to youth and young adults of color. Or email Elizabeth Nguyen (email@example.com) for assistance in finding what your youth need.
- July 2015 UUA webinar on Disability and Inclusion (Video, Transcript, Powerpoint, Resources)
- February 2017 UUA webinar on Supporting Gender Non-conforming Children and Their Families. ( Video, Transcript, Powerpoint,Resources)
- UU Leadership Institute online class in Transgender Inclusion in Congregations because youth need to be accepted and seen in the whole congregation, not just their youth program.
- January 2017 UUA Webinar with Black Lives of UU for religious educators and other professionals (Video, Transcript, Powerpoint)
- February 2016 UUA Webinar on Naming Race with UU religious educators (Video, Transcript, Slides, Resources)
- Webinar on Creating an Inclusive Youth Ministry
- UUA pages on youth identity formation
- Book recommendations for teens dealing with social issues
- Crowdsourced Race and Identity Resources on YouTube
- Race Matters Theories on Racial Identity Development