Pat Lamanna is a singer-songwriter and a longtime, active member of the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Poughkeepsie, N.Y. She creates inspirational services incorporating original music and songs by unusual and influential people, telling stories that will entertain, uplift, and get you thinking and singing. Pat's songs have been praised by Pete Seeger, Peter Yarrow and others. Visit at her self-named website Pat Lamanna.
Titles of programs/sermons and a brief statement of content on each:
- Malvina Reynolds—Perhaps best known for penning “Little Boxes” and “Turn Around,” Malvina Reynolds was a Unitarian songwriter whose topical songs, written mostly in the 1950s – 1970s, were startlingly prescient, as well as clever and insightful. Pat shares the songs and writings of this amazing woman.
- Peace Pilgrim—Abandoning her home and identity, Peace Pilgrim crisscrossed the U.S on foot for 28 years, speaking about peace between nations, among individuals, and the most important inner peace. Pat tells her story, sings her songs, and gives an update on how this remarkable woman’s memory is honored in her home town today.
- Commies in the Catskills: The Story of Camp Woodland—Camp Woodland was a summer camp known for collecting folk songs of New York’s Catskill Mountain region (and the place where Pete Seeger learned “Guantanamera"). The children who attended (Pat included) learned values and ideals which are nicely summed up in our own Seven Principles. Come prepared to sing!
- The Songs We Left Behind—A musical journey through an adventure-filled year in Pat’s life, when she left her job and home and travelled through Europe, North Africa and Israel in search of enlightenment, writing songs and singing all the way.
- 10 Lessons I Learned from Pete Seeger—Pat had the privilege of getting to know Pete Seeger at a weekly peace vigil they both attended. She paints a picture of this remarkable man (who, by the way, was a UU) through his songs, his words and stories about his life.
- Songs of the Women's Suffrage Movement: 2020 marks the centennial of the 19th Amendment, granting women the right to vote. Pat brings the movement to achieve this milestone alive through the protest songs that fueled it.
Availability: Spring, summer or fall, distance negotiable.
Fee arrangements: Whatever your standard fee for guest presenters is.
Contact: Email Pat Lamanna at firstname.lastname@example.org