Peer Pastoral Care Training OH 320
Type of event: Training
This event focuses on pastoral care to and with youth for youth and adults. (Young adults interested in providing peer pastoral care with young adults are welcome to attend).
The training will provide most of the curriculum to be a chaplain for youth events, see the Chaplain Training Page. Anyone wishing to be a chaplain at CER events will need to attend a follow up event.
- This program is open to Youth (ages 14-18 in high school) preparing to be peer chaplains,
- Adults (over the age of 25) preparing to provide pastoral care to youth, and
- Young Adults (18-25) preparing to be peer chaplains in UU young adult programming. Young adults must agree to follow the CER Adult Code of Conduct and stay in an adult role.
Housing: Participants, adult and youth, are strongly encouraged to sleep at the church. Motels are nearby if sleeping at the church is not a possibility. If you plan to do this, please notify the registrar. All meals during the conference will be provided at the church. Young adults under the age of 25 or not youth advisors, will need to find alternative housing. Contact the registrar of your event if you'd like assistance with this.
Bring: Sleeping bag, air mattress, comfortable clothes, toiletries
Cost: The actual cost of this training to the region is about $85 per person. If you can afford to pay this cost, we appreciate you doing so. If you cannot afford this, please choose one of the subsidized rates ($70, $50). We have budgeted money that allows us to subsidize trainings like this and are happy to use it to support your leadership development. If you cannot afford the lower end of the sliding scale for the training and need a full or partial waiver you may request that on the registration form. You will be notified if your request is denied. Please bring your partial payment with you. Payment must be made in cash or by check made payable to UUA-CER. You cannot make a partial payment via credit card.
If this is your first training or conference with the Central East Region, please read the Behavioral Expectations which describes our expectations of youth and adults attending youth events in the region and the CER Youth Event Procedures and Requirements. You will be asked about these documents in the registration process.
Registration closes on March 1, 2019. There is a cap of 30 youth and 10 adults for this event.
Please note that all adults who attend must have a background check less than 3 years old to attend this event and must be registered by their congregation as an approved adult. If this has not yet happened, please talk with your religious educator or other congregational leader.
Each registrant is being asked to answer the following essay questions, you may want to consider your answers before you register.
- What is your impression of what peer pastoral care is and why does it interest you to learn more about it?
- Have you had an experience receiving pastoral care, chaplaining or other peer counseling from a trained peer chaplain or counselor? Briefly describe the experience and its impact on you.
- Have you had any experience giving pastoral care, chaplaining or peer counseling in a formal or informal setting? Briefly describe.
- Do you have any questions about peer pastoral care and how to provide support for youth experiencing hard things?
- Content Warning: Because of the nature of peer pastoral care, topics such as suicide ideation, self harm, physical and emotional abuse and trauma, death, depression and anxiety, among other things, may come up. While your own level of sharing is completely up to you, if you have recently experienced or known people who have gone through these things it’s important to consider whether it would cause undue stress or emotional response to be present where people are sharing their own stories and experiences. With this in mind, Is there anything you wish the facilitators to know that will help them be mindful of topics that may be challenging for you? This information will not be shared with other training attendees.
- Is there anything else the facilitators should know about you that can help them help you succeed over this weekend?
- Please list a religious professional (or if you do not have a DRE or Minister, an elected leader) who can serve as a reference for you.