POSTPONED - Pastoral Care to/with Youth Training NJ 120
Type of event: Training
This event has been postponed, we're working on a new date.
This event focuses on pastoral care to and with youth for youth and adults. (Young adults interested in providing peer pastoral care with young adults are welcome to attend).
The training will provide most of the curriculum to be a chaplain for youth events (link to the chaplain page please). Anyone wishing to be a chaplain at CER events will need to attend a follow up event.
About this program:
To learn about this training, please visit the Chaplain Training Page in the Youth Programs section.
- This program is open to Youth (ages 14-18 in high school) preparing to be peer chaplains,
- Adults (over the age of 25) preparing to provide pastoral care to youth, and
- Young Adults (18-25) preparing to be peer chaplains in UU young adult programming. Young adults must agree to follow the CER Adult Code of Conduct and stay in an adult role.
Housing: Participants, adult and youth, are strongly encouraged to sleep at the church. Motels are nearby if sleeping at the church is not a possibility. If you plan to do this, please notify the registrar. All meals during the conference will be provided at the church. Young adults under the age of 25 or not youth advisors, will need to find alternative housing. Contact the registrar of your event if you'd like assistance with this.
Bring: Sleeping bag, air mattress, comfortable clothes, toiletries
Cost: The actual cost of this training to the region is about $85 per person. If you can afford to pay this cost, we appreciate you doing so. If you cannot afford this, please choose one of the subsidized rates ($70, $50). We have budgeted money that allows us to subsidize trainings like this and are happy to use it to support your leadership development. If you cannot afford the lower end of the sliding scale for the training and need a full or partial waiver you may request that on the registration form. You will be notified if your request is denied. Please bring your partial payment with you. Payment must be made in cash or by check made payable to UUA-CER. You cannot make a partial payment via credit card.
If this is your first training or conference with the Central East Region, please read the Behavioral Expectations which describes our expectations of youth and adults attending youth events in the region and the CER Youth Event Procedures and Requirements. You will be asked about these documents in the registration process.
Registration closes on January 6, 2019. There is a cap of 34 people for this event.
Please note that all adults who attend must have a background check less than 3 years old to attend this event and must be registered by their congregation as an approved adult. If this has not yet happened, please talk with your religious educator or other congregational leader.
Each registrant is being asked to answer the following essay questions, you may want to consider your answers before you register.
- Why do you wish to learn about peer pastoral care to and with youth (or young adults)?
- Why might you be good at this? What might be challenging for you?
- What and how much experience do you have with UU youth or young adult programming?
- What have these experiences meant to you and what future plans do you have involving UU youth and young adult programming?
- What, if any, experience do you have with chaplaining or other peer counseling related functions? (This could be formal or informal, official or unofficial)
- Is there anything else we should know about you?
- Please list a religious professional (or if you do not have a DRE or Minister, an elected leader) who can serve as a reference for you.