RE Week at the Sea 2020
Type of event: Conference
Sponsor: Central East Region of the UUA
Five Days of Learning, Collegial Connection and Relaxation for all Religious Educators including Professional Faith Development Staff, Ministers, Lay Leaders and New DREs
RE Week at the Sea offers two learning sessions, Mon-Wed and Wed-Fri. Participants may opt to attend a single 2.5 session or the full two session week (Mon-Fri) Each session offers participants a choice of a traditional Renaissance Module or an alternative learning opportunity as described below.
Cost & Deadline Information:
- Cost to attend one session of RE Week is $400. Register by July 1, get a $50 discount.
- Cost to attend both sessions of RE Week is $800. Register by July 1, get a $100 discount.
- Request a single room, $100 per session.
- Commuter rate, $100 discount per session.
- Add on a day at the beach before RE week for $100 each (Sunday or Tuesday night)
- Registration Deadline is July 15, 2020. All payments must be received by this date. There is a cap of 20 participants for each class. If the class reaches its threshold, a waiting list will be created.
- CER participants may request a scholarship per session, based on your congregation's size. You must provide a reference. See the registration form for details.
- Refund policy: Note that we will refund for cancellations received by the deadline of July 31 in full less a $50 processing fee. Cancellations after July 15 will only be refunded if there is someone on the wait list or you have someone to take your spot. Our financial obligations to the venue require us to have these policies.
- Those who register after July 15 will be charged an additional $50 late fee. This fee is necessary due to the extra work late registrations require.
Registration will open on April 1, 2020
Course selections include: River Rising for DREs, Orange Philosophy with Kids and 2 Renaissance modules to be determined.
Details, Details, Details
What’s Included for all participants:
- 2.5 days of training per session, including classroom materials and supplies. A total of FIVE fabulous days if you choose to attend BOTH sessions!
- 2 nights lodging per session, 4 nights lodging for those registering for the FULL WEEK.
- Lodging is double occupancy, 2 per room. Most rooms enjoy the use of the shared hall bath.
- Daily Beach Passes in this NJ Seaside Resort Town are INCLUDED!
- 2 Breakfasts, 1 Lunches and 1 Dinner per session. One evening is set aside in each session for dinner “on your own" in the friendly resort town of Ocean Grove or neighboring Asbury Park. Lunch on departure day (Wednesday and/or Friday) is also on your own. Local restaurants offer a range of prices and there is something for every budget, from pizza places and sandwich shops to four star dining.
- A very limited number of single occupancy rooms with shared hall bath are available for an additional charge.
- Traveling in from a distance? Lodging is available on a first come, first serve basis for the night before training begins (Sunday or Tuesday). See the registration form for the "add-on day".
- Ocean Grove is a wonderful family oriented destination but unfortunately we are not able to offer childcare options at this time. The retreat center has a very limited number of rooms that can accommodate a small family. Additional charges may apply. Children must be supervised by an adult over 18 at all times. We can also provide you with the names of nearby accommodations that may be more suitable for your needs. If you wish to explore bringing your family, please contact pinfante [at] uua [dot] org prior to registering to find out what rooming options are available.
What’s NOT included:
- RE Week Part I - Dinner on Monday night is at your own expense.
- RE Week Part II - Dinner on Thursday night is on your own.
- Participants staying for both RE Week Part I and Part II will also be able to have Wednesday lunch on their own.
What Else Do I Need to Know?
Arrival and Departure Times:
RE Week Part I: Registration and Check In between 9-10 AM, Monday, August 10. Class will begin promptly at 10 AM. Class will end at 12 PM on Wednesday, August 12. Beach passes will be available for those wishing to enjoy the afternoon in Ocean Grove.
RE Week Part II: Registration and Check In between 2 – 4 PM, Wednesday, August 12. Class will begin promptly at 4 PM. Class will end at 1 PM on Friday, August 14. Beach passes will be available for those wishing to enjoy the afternoon in Ocean Grove.
All parking is on-street. Parking is challenging during the summer in this beach resort town. Carpooling or public transportation are encouraged. The nearest NJ Transit train station is Asbury Park. It is approximately 0.6 mile from the retreat center. Pick up/drop off can be arranged where needed.
Ocean Grove is dry town. Alcohol is not permitted in the Grove Hall Retreat Center. The nearby (walking distance) Asbury Park boardwalk and downtown offer ample options for enjoying an evening out.
Read more information about Ocean Grove.
Required Readers and Study Material
Each class has a required packet of reading and handouts. Some of the classes also have a small assignment to be completed prior to arrival. Required materials will be posted here when the classes are finalized.
Participants for all classes are expected to purchase and/or download and review all assigned materials prior to the start of the training.
Registration opens on April 1, 2020
Flying in from out of state? The closest airport is Newark Liberty in NJ. Public transportation is available from the airport to Asbury Park NJ, the town just north of Ocean Grove. We'll work with you to get you to the Retreat Center quickly and safely! Contact Pat Infante at pinfante [at] uua [dot] org for details.