New Day Rising MNY 1019
Dismantling White Supremacy Culture in our Communities
Slightly overwhelmed by all the options in tackling white supremacy culture in your congregation? Feeling stuck, or coming up against resistance? How do you know where to start? Or what comes next?
Join with Central East Region staff and UU congregational leaders for this day of learning, growing and rising. Hear from your neighboring congregations about what they’re up to, about what has worked and why, what hasn’t worked and what’s been learned. You can assess your congregation’s next fruitful and faithful step, and talk about ways we can work together to move us all forward. Send your congregational team! There is something for everyone when a New Day Rises!
Costs: Sliding Scale fee of $20-$30-$40. Lunch is included. Child care is available at $5 per child, but must be requested in advance. Registration fees are on a sliding scale, based on your assessment of your ability to pay. Those who pay at the highest level are making a donation to help those in financial need for this event. Please remember that for a sliding scale to work, we need the same number of people with means to generously pay more to balance the needs of those who can afford less.
The program includes:
- Why Do We Use the Words White Supremacy Anyway? ~ Rev. Jude Geiger
- There’s an Elephant in the Room: How to Have Difficult Conversations at Church ~ Rev. Dr. Hope Johnson
- Leading Racial Justice Work as UU People of Color ~ Rev. Sunshine Wolfe
- Why Is It So Hard to Get Others in My Community Interested in Racial Justice Work: a Roadmap to Building a Culture of Inclusion ~ Paula Cole Jones
- Making the World a Better Place — And Taking Care of Yourself At the Same Time: Self Care for Experienced Anti Racism Activists ~ Rev. Dr. Linda Anderson
Lunch is included with the cost of registration
Dedicated Time for Identity-Based Caucusing - A chance to gather in identity-based groups for conversation, reflection and relationship building!
Stories of Struggle and Success: Congregational stories of change - Hear from other congregations in a series of 7 minute TED-style type talks about what worked for them and their people (and what didn’t!), with opportunities to connect and ask questions!