Jubliee Anti-Racism Workshop DC 719
Type of event: Training
Learning Together About Systemic Racism
Do you wish to nurture your congregation’s multicultural future in the face of opposing cultural currents? Do you wish to deepen your understanding of how race and ethnicity play out in our institutions and our daily lives.
Jubilee Anti-Racism Training helps participants understand what is involved in nurturing a multicultural community and working against racism in all of its forms. The workshop requires a weekend commitment; and it is worth every minute of that commitment.
This 2 ½ day workshop is open to members of any Unitarian Universalist congregation. Church leaders are especially encouraged to attend.
WHEN: Friday, July 19th (6:00pm to 9:00pm); Saturday, July 20th (9:00am to 9:00pm); Sunday, July 21st (9:00am to 4:30pm)
FEE: $160 per participant (includes cost for trainers, meals and materials). Contributions in support of this work are welcome.
Note that Jubilee Kids is also being offered during this event, please see that event page for registration. Childcare will be provided upon request.
Enrollment is limited to 40 participants, so sign up today! Registration deadline is July 15, 2019.
- To develop a shared analysis of racism and its individual, institutional, and cultural manifestations
- To begin to apply this common understanding to the history, culture, and institutional structure of our congregation, and to envision next steps
The training includes presentations, discussions, videos, exercises, small group work, worship services, and shared meals.
Agenda Topics Include:
- The history of racism and resistance to racism in the Americas
- Defining racism
- The effects of racism on people of color and on white people
- Dismantling racism
- Claiming and shaping an anti-racist identity
- Racism in the UUA