Seaway UUMA/LREDA Joint Retreat 2019
Type of event: Training
The Annual Joint Retreat of the Seaway UUMA and LREDA Chapters.
Gender Justice: Engendering Justice
Presenter: CB Beal, M.Div.
The capacity to welcome and meaningfully include people of all genders in our ministries and congregations requires reflection on our own experiences and perceptions as well as engagement with information and ideas that might be new to us. As UU religious professionals we hold many different personal identities and our personal and professional knowledge of and experience with the diversity of sexuality and gender is varied. The Chapters asked for this workshop topic, indicating the collective depth of commitment.
This workshop is designed to enable us all, both personally and collectively, to increase insight, empathy, and skills from whatever our starting point. The starting point for this experience is we ourselves.
We will explore:
- our own understanding of gender and how we have experienced the world (and how that has shifted over time.)
- the traditional binary understanding of gender as well as a broader, fluid, non-binary understanding, and practice holding both at once .
- how gender oppression is experienced by cisgender women and transgender/non-binary people and how that is amplified by intersections of oppression (e.g. black cisgender women, queer cisgender women, disabled transgender men, non-binary, queer, poor, disabled people, etc.)b
- both healthy masculinity as well as what has been called “toxic” (damaging to a masculine person as well as those around them) masculinity.
- what we need to know and do, personally and collectively, to be radically inclusive in our professional lives.
The end point will be a personal plan of three actions to take that will increase effectiveness in welcoming people, meeting their needs, and meaningfully involving them in a way that moves us all closer to a just world.