Building Beloved Community Beyond the Binary
First Unitarian Universalist Society of Syracuse, is once again hosting a Building Beloved Community Beyond the Binary conference on February 9, 2019. Registration starts at 8:30. The day begins at 9:00 am with our keynote and will be over at 4:30 pm. This conference is focussed on transgender and non-binary identity issues and concerns. As a congregation it is our hope that this one-day conference will be both a place where trans and gender non-conforming folk can gather, connect and learn and where cisgender folk can learn about being better allies.
We are so excited to have J Mase III as our keynote speaker. J Mase IIIis a Black/trans/queer poet & educator based in Seattle by way of Philly. As an educator, Mase has worked with community members in the US, UK, and Canada on LGBTQIA+ rights and racial justice in spaces such as K-12 schools, universities, and faith communities. He is founder of awQward, the first trans and queer people of color talent agency.
His work has been featured on MSNBC, Essence Live, Everyday Feminism, Black Girl Dangerous, the New York Times, Buzzfeed, the Root, theGrio, Teen Vogue and more.
His current projects include being the head writer of the theatrical production, Black Bois and being co-editor of the #BlackTransPrayerBook.
We will also be offering the following workshops:
- I'm new to all this - Trans/Nonbinary/Gender Non-Conforming 101
- Being a Trans Ally
- Medical Interventions for TG/GNC people
- On Faith and the Criminalization of the Black Trans Body
- Preemptive Radical Hospitality
- Creating a Welcoming Environment for Trans and Gender Non-Conforming Children
- Transgender Law & Policy
- From there to here.. stories from parents of Trans Youth on their journey supporting their child’s transition
- Writing Where it Hurts