Event format: Online
Date & time:
- Saturday, February 25, 2023, 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm EST2023-02-25T12:00:00-05:00 - 2023-02-25T18:00:00-05:00
Type of event: Webinar
Sponsor: Central East Region of the UUA
Congregations throughout the Central East Region have started work on adopting the 8th Principle, covenanting to affirm and promote journeying toward spiritual wholeness by working to build a diverse multicultural Beloved Community by our actions that accountably dismantle racism and other oppressions in ourselves and our institutions. Some congregations have discussed it with no action, some have voted to adopt it, and some are using it to actively work on dismantling racism in their systems and communities. Every UU congregation is ready to take the next step in their process of furthering antiracism, whether they use the 8th Principle as a vehicle or not.
Join this year's New Day Rising event to learn from neighboring congregations about what path they've taken with their 8th Principle and other antiracism work, and how your congregation might move itself forward.
Learn more about the 8th Principle and the Article II Study Commission's work.
- Worship with Rev. Ranwa Hammamy, Congregational Justice Organizer, UUA
- Panel Conversation: Kickstarting Your Congregation’s Anti-Racism Work: Stories of Progress
- Identity Based Caucusing
- Choose Your Own Breakout Rooms, led by congregations who have been there:
- We Don’t Know How To Start
- We’ve Passed It and Are Thinking About Next Steps
- This Conversation Has Gotten Very Messy at Our Congregation
- We’re Doing a Number of Things to Enact the 8th Principle
- We’re Doing Other Effective Antiracism Work
- Intersecting Racism: Fighting Oppression in Intersectional Ways
- Expanding Access for People with Disabilities in Your Congregation - Rev. Sunshine Wolfe and Beth Casebolt, Central East Region staff
- Welcome for Gender Diversity in Your Congregation - Alex Kapitan, Transforming Hearts Collective
- Adaptation to and Appreciation for Neurodivergence - Heather Petit
This conference will include pre-work and resources on the UU Institute. Instructions for accessing the UU Institute and the materials will be provided in your confirmation email.
We are sorry but registration is now closed. You can access the recordings from the UU Institute about 2 weeks after the event.
Can’t come but still want the recordings? There is a cap of 500 participants and presenters for this event. Please do not register if you cannot attend on February 25th. After the conference, any recordings will be posted to the New Day Rising Resources page on the UU Institute which you can purchase at a later time.
New Day Rising Central East Region, 2023