You are invited to participate in Jubilee Three Anti-Racism Training: Learning Together About Systemic Racism.
Do you wish to deepen your understanding of how race and ethnicity play out in our institutions and our daily lives? Are you ready to take a leading role to nurture a multicultural future in the face of opposing cultural currents? Come join us for this life-changing weekend!
Please note all times are Eastern, this is an online training and all are welcome.
- Friday, June 11th - 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. with a break from 7:15-7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, June 12th - 9:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. with a 30 minute break at 10:30 a.m., 2 hour meal break from 12:30-2:30 and a 30 minute break at 4 p.m. and a 30 minute break at 6:30 p.m.
- Sunday, June 13th - 12:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. with a 1 hour break at 2 p.m. and a 30 minute break at 4:30 p.m.
Weekend activities: The training includes presentations, discussions, videos, exercises, and small group work. This 2 ½ day workshop is open to anyone who wants to journey toward making a stand against racism. Church members and church leaders of any faith, as well as non-church members are all welcome!
Our goals are:
- To develop a shared analysis of racism and its individual, institutional, and cultural manifestations, and
- To begin to apply this common understanding to the history, culture, and institutional structure of our society, and to envision the next steps in taking action.
Agenda topics include:
- The history of racism and resistance to racism in the Americas
- Defining racism
- The effects of racism on people of color and on white people
- Dismantling racism
- Claiming and shaping an anti-racist identity
Trainers are Paula Cole Jones, Dr Leon Spencer and Lutricia Callair.
Enrollment is limited so sign up today!
$170 per participant, additional members of the same household can receive a 50% discount. We encourage people seeking scholarships to request support from their local congregation.
$120 Group rate for members of UU Church of Berks Co. open through May 15th
There is a limit of 70 participants for this training.
For more information contact: Paula Cole Jones firstname.lastname@example.org
Testimonials from previous participants:
“The Jubilee III experience far surpassed what I had been expecting. First Unitarian Church of Honolulu had participated in two previous in-person Jubilees and I just couldn’t imagine a virtual experience being so successful. It became obvious that the trainers had gone above and beyond in preparation; the virtual experience was, in some ways, better because of the face-to-face feeling of intimacy on screen that can happen even when someone speaks to the whole group, the close honesty afforded by break-out rooms, and the relatively long meal breaks, which make one feel totally refreshed and able to think clearly for the next session.
Also, it became clear that a lot of effort had gone into honing and making the curriculum itself even better than before. It was like peeling an onion; we were able to delve into new and deeper levels of understanding.
Thank you to the trainers for this great opportunity to gain crucial points of awareness around racial justice!”
~ Jill Rabinov
“First Unitarian Church of Honolulu (FUCH) is honored to have experienced the first virtual Zoom Jubilee training. This was our third Jubilee Anti-Racism training and I was curious how the Zoom Format would work for such a hands on and self-reflective experience. Although we were using the Zoom format we still had the benefit and feel of getting to know other Jubilee members on a more personal level.
This training was extremely informative and worthwhile, covering new material that we did not receive in the previous 2 Jubilee trainings. This training will give you a lot of food for thought as well as tools to use in these challenging times.”
~ Allison Jacobs