One of the most significant changes in the life of a congregation is a change in professional ministry. It can be a time of grief, possibility, confusion, anxiety or some combination of emotions.
We on your UUA/OMD/SLD/CERG District and Regional staff are committed to assist congregations though these times of transition. We also encourage congregational leaders to educate themselves about best practices so that we can partner together to find the best fit for your congregation.
In the past couple of years, the UUA has developed some helpful resources to aid congregational leaders to educate themselves during a ministerial transition.
- Last year, the UUA’s Skinner House books published In the Interim: Strategies for Interim Ministers and Congregations, edited by Barbara Child and Keith Kron
- The UUA’s Congregational Life Staff partnered with Transitions Director Keith Kron to create a series of 30 informational videos:
Overview and Ministerial Departure:
- Ministerial Transistion Introduction
- How Does the Minister Know When to Leave
- More Thoughts on When to Leave/a>
- Ministers: When and How Do You Tell Them You’re Leaving?
- Saying Goodbye, Well
- Emotions Around Terminations
Negotiated Terminations: When the Ministry Doesn’t End Well. Occasionally a ministry ends in conflict. If you think you’re headed this way, be in touch with your regional staff for more particulars.
- What is a Good Officer?
- Next Steps for the Congregation Following a Negotiated Resignation
- Negotiated Resignations: What’s Next for the Minister?
Next Steps for the Congregation, and the Interim Process
- Don’t Rush the Process of Search
- Making Yourself Attractive to an Interim Minister
- The Interim Process: What if No Minister Wants to Come
The Search Committee: Creation and Process
- When to Select the Search Committee
- How to Select the Search Committee
- The Search Committee Start Up Retreat
- Group Process in the Search Committee
- Conflict in the Search Committee
Search Committee Tasks
- How to Make Yourself Attractive to a Ministerial Candidate
- How to Sort the Ministerial List
- How to Decide on your Pre-Candidates and Candidate
- When the Search Committee Can’t Decide
- Crafting the Letter of Agreement
- Fair Compensation
- Offering the Position to Your Candidate
- Offer Day: What if No one Wants to be Your Minister?
- What Percentage is Needed for the Call?
- Candidating Week: When Things Go Badly
- What Happens if the Congregation Refuses the Candidate?
- What if Your Candidate Says No?
Part-Time Ministerial Search
These new resources are in addition to the resources on the UUA website:
- UUA Ministerial Transitions includes links to information on Interim Ministry, the Settlement Handbook, benefits and compensation (including a compensation calculator), part-time ministry, recommendations concerning screening of ministers and all staff and other safety issues.
In faith and service,
Rev. Renee Ruchotzke