Date & time:
Type of event: Training
The Family Ministry Training will be offered in an online format on Mondays, April 12, 19, 26 and May 3, 10 and 17, 1-3:30pm EST / 12-2:30pm CST / 11-1:30 MST / 10-12:30 PST. The training is open to individuals and staff teams are encouraged to register together for a team discount. The training will be led by Leia Durland-Jones and Christina Rivera. Registration is limited to 20 participants and the fee is $250 for individuals, $225/person for teams of 2-3, and $200/person for teams of 4 or more. The registration deadline is March 29, 2021.
The Family Ministry Training is an online learning experience comprised of six two-and-a-half-hour webinars with reading and other assignments for each session. Credit will be offered for full participation in the module. Full participation includes:
- Online attendance at six two-and-a-half-hour sessions
- Reading and reflection to prepare for each session
- Responses to Reflection Questions on the Discussion Forum after each session.
- Submission of final evaluation within a week of the ending of the module.
Goals of the Training
The overall goals of this training are:
- To explore different ways the idea of “family” is understood—for example, generationally, culturally;
- To provide participants with an overview of family systems and developmental theories;
- To explore ways that congregations are like a family, as well as ways they are different from families;
- To help participants identify components and characteristics of successful family ministry and celebrate what they are already doing well in their congregations;
- To reflect on the power and potential of shared ministry to enhance a congregation’s ministries to its families;
- To explore different ways religious leaders and congregations can nurture and support ministry within families with the goal of helping families live their UU faith at home, in the congregation, and in the wider world; and
- To support participants in beginning to imagine new ways of nurturing the forms of ministry only families, as families, can provide.
The webinar platform is Zoom, which you can download from Zoom.
In order register and access module materials, participants must have or create a UUA profile name. On UUA.org, click on “create account” at the top right and follow instructions on the page. If you have already participated in an online module, use the profile name you have already created. You must provide your profile name to be added to the group and begin the preparation required before the first session.