The PLUS Program is designed for new (and relatively new) professional staff in Unitarian Universalist congregations. The world of religious leadership is complex and ever-changing, so it’s critical to approach your work with a learning mindset, right from the start! Professional development is also a form of self-care, as new understandings and new connections keep you fresh and protect against burnout.
The PLUS Program is a great way to get yourself in the habit of regular learning. Each PLUS unit can be completed in an hour or less. Most units include some reading (generally online), a connection with a person (within or beyond the congregation), and some questions to answer.
To make the most of your PLUS experience, we recommend the following:
- Find a sponsor in the congregation to be an “accountability buddy.” It could be your supervisor or someone else who is invested in your success as a staff member.
- Agree on a schedule with your sponsor. For instance, you may decide that you will complete one PLUS unit each week, or one or two per month.
- Use a notebook or journal (or a virtual equivalent) for your assignments.
- After you complete a unit, share highlights of your learnings with your sponsor in real-time or by email.
- PLUS 1: Your Congregation (Word)
- PLUS 2: Your Position (Word)
- PLUS 3: Unitarian Universalism (Word)
- PLUS 4: About the UUA (Word)
- PLUS 5: Differentiated Leadership (Word)
- PLUS 6: Professional Organizations (Word)
- PLUS 7: Credentialing and Certification Programs (Word)
Please tell us what you think of any PLUS unit: PLUS Program Feedback.