Professional Interim Training
Twice a year, the UUA Office of Church Staff Finances hosts a seven-week, online interim training for professional staff in congregations. This is a great course to take as a team!
Staff will find this training useful if:
- they are serving, or preparing to serve, in an interim capacity.
- they are, or will be, working with an interim minister.
- they want to look at their current work and context with fresh eyes, especially during times of change.
Professional Interim Training:
- introduces a variety of leadership and change models.
- equips staff in the essential areas of congregational systems and staff relations.
- grounds staff in the tasks of the interim process.
- provides practical tools and resources for interim work.
- "I wish our entire congregation could take this course! I'm not kidding."
- "An informative, engaging way to learn, meet new people, and find out how interim work affects congregants and staff."
- "This course helped me understand developmental ministry in a way I have been needing and wanting."
- "I have a better idea how to talk about change and help our congregation focus their energy, even when it stems from anxiety."
- "As we begin an interim ministry, I have a general sense of excitement and engagement with the interim process, replacing my sense of impending doom. Thank you!"
- "I loved how useful it was -- not only to people who are in the role of interim professionals but also to those who are going through a transition on their staff team."
- "This was an incredible process and I know it will have great impact on my future ministry!"
This seven-week training is usually offered in the spring and the fall. In 2020, we are also running a summer session. The application deadline for the Summer 2020 session is June 19 and the registration fee is $175. (If spaces remain, a late fee will be charged after June 19.)
We encourage participants to take the course as part of a team from their congregations and offer a small refund for teams of two ore more who complete the course together from a single congregation.
Each week, participants will be reading, writing, and posting to our online course platform. There are four required webinars, all on Monday evenings at 7pm ET. Tentatively, these are scheduled for July 13 and 27, and August 10 and 24. The course culminates with a team project, with presentations at the final webinar.
Most participants report spending about 4 hours/week on reading and coursework throughout the seven weeks of the course.
There are two readers, both available through inSpirit:
- Required: In the Interim, 2nd edition, Edited by Barbara Child and Keith Kron
- Encouraged (especially for those directly leading transitional work): The Spirit That Moves, Edited by Barbara Child
The Summer 2020 application form is now available. Note that the first page of the application provides important information about the training, including the time commitment, course expectations, and withdrawal policy.