You Are Here
On-going Support by the Unitarian Universalist Association
- Chaplain/Chaplain Candidate is expected to annually attend the Unitarian Universalist Ministers Association (UUMA) Professional Days/ Unitarian Universalist Assocation (UUA) General Assembly. Further they are expected to attend other national meetings of the UU Ministers Association, a UU Ministers Association Chapter meeting, or meetings of host nation UU gatherings. Exceptions can be made for Chaplains serving in multi-year overseas assignments. This requirement is in place so that Chaplains may retain on-going connection with the UUA.
- UUA through Department of Ministry appoints Committee on Military Ministry to support, mentor and befriend UU military chaplains/chaplain candidates, and their families. Members of Committee on Military Ministry (CMM) should be persons with knowledge and commitment to supporting UU military chaplains/chaplain candidates. As volunteers, expenses for phone calls and small appreciative items will be reimbursed.
- Committee on Military Ministry (CMM) to be in regular contact with the Military Chaplains, and their families, to provide on-going support. The Department of Ministry provides the CMM with contact information for the Military Chaplains and their families.
- UUA and Committee on Military Ministry develop and use rituals for military chaplains/chaplain candidates, including commissioning service, blessing for departing service members, acknowledgement and thanks for retiring Chaplains.
- Official Endorser and/or chaplain/mentor visit Chaplains annually, where possible.
- Official Endorser and/or Committee on Military Ministry members visit with Chaplain’s/Chaplain Candidate’s Command should issues arise in the Chaplain’s/Chaplain Candidate’s service to provide support and ensure fair treatment.
- UUA identify and use services of consultant on military protocol to advise on any visits with, or services for, military Chaplains/Chaplain Candidates.