Policy on Transfers and Plural Standing for Ministers

The requirements for people transferring into the Unitarian Universalist (UU) ministry, or applying for plural standing, are essentially the same as for other candidates. While transfer candidates can be assured that a Master of Divinity degree from an accredited theological school will be acceptable as academic background, additional work in the areas of Unitarian Universalist history, polity, traditions and religious education is expected. The core curriculum listed previously outlines the areas of knowledge and competency that are expected.

In addition, a clear demonstration of motivation and commitment to Unitarian Universalism must be expressed through participation in a local congregation and in area UU Ministers Association (UUMA) meetings and/or district meetings. (A minimum of 2 years involvement is expected by the Ministerial Fellowship Committee (MFC).) In many cases, successful completion of a CPE program and an internship or supervised ministry in a Unitarian Universalist congregation is also required. All transfer and plural standing candidates must:

  1. Sign a consent form allowing for the release of information to certify status of standing in current or prior denomination (located in the MFC Appendix, page 8);
  2. Submit a letter of standing from current or prior denomination;
  3. Submit a letter of reference from a ministerial colleague in good standing from current or prior denomination.

The MFC requires two years active involvement in a congregation. The following represent different ways to address this requirement. The more you can do the better!

Transfer and plural standing candidates should consult with the Ministerial Credentialing Director regarding specific requirements and paperwork expected by the Ministerial Fellowship Committee.