Denominational representatives and vocational advisors should work with aspirants and candidates to develop a covenant that includes agreements about:
- How often to meet
- When and how appointments are set
- How you meet (in person, by phone, by video)
- How to cancel appointments
- Communicating with each other, including agreements about confidentiality. This is an opportunity to begin to build trust so that the student will be able to provide deep and honest feedback about his or her progress.
- Rituals that will be used to begin and end the time together (chalice lighting, silence, reading, prayer)
- Whether you will establish a practice of regrouping or some kind of ritual at a midway point during the year
- Whether the student will prepare a short agenda for each meeting.