Congregations as Employers
Whether your congregation employs a single part-time staff member or a large and specialized workforce, you’ll want to provide them with the resources, development, and support they need in order to serve you well and to advance your congregation’s mission and vision.
Key Legal Compliance Topics
- Employee or Independent Contractor?
- Fair Labor Standards Act
- State-specific information: The Office of Church Staff Finances focuses on nationally consistent information. We advise congregations to establish a relationship with an employment lawyer in your area who can counsel you on state and local laws and regulations. The resources below are provided as a starting point for common personnel-related laws that differ by state.
- State Payday Requirements (mandated pay frequency by state)
- U.S. Department of Labor: State and Local Resources (including state minimum wage laws, labor office contact information, and labor law topics)
- Mandatory Reporters of Child Abuse and Neglect (summary of state statutes)
Taking Care of Your Staff
In addition to the topics below, you may be interested in:
- Benefits and Compensation for information about salaries and benefit plans for your staff
- Staff Team Development for guidance on helping your staff thrive as a healthy and effective team
- Congregational Life Regional Staff for staffing and personnel questions and concerns