Compensation and Payroll: Financial Matters
The Office of Church Staff Finances, a division of Ministries and Faith Development, offers compensation and staffing-related financial information to congregational leaders, clergy and staff.
To receive regular updates, tips, and resources from the UUA Office of Church Staff Finances on compensation, staffing, and personnel, sign up for Compensation and Staffing News.
Strategies for Setting Staff Salaries (1 hour)
Led by Jan Gartner, UUA Compensation and Staffing Practices Manager
Tuesday, February 21, at 7:00 p.m. Eastern and Wednesday, February 22, at 2:00 p.m. Eastern
Have you ever:
- Wondered what “midpoint” really means?
- Puzzled over where to place a staff member within the recommended salary range for their position?
- Felt unsure of which job title to use?
- Noticed that one staff member’s pay seemed inappropriately high or low, relative to other salaries?
- Struggled with how to be truly fair in setting and adjusting salaries?
The UUA Salary Recommendations provide clear, consistent guidance based on sound compensation principles, but they aren’t customized counsel that perfectly fits any single congregation. Join me for an overview of the UUA Salary Recommendations and related resources, followed by suggestions and strategies for applying our guidelines sensibly and justly in your context. I will leave plenty of time for your questions.
Register here for Tuesday, February 21, at 7:00 p.m. Eastern
Register here for Wednesday, February 22, at 2:00 p.m. Eastern
Ministerial Compensation: Unraveling the Complexities for Lay Leaders (75 minutes)
Led by Rev. Richard Nugent, Director, Church Staff Finances and Jan Gartner, UUA Compensation and Staffing Practices Manager
Tuesday, March 7, at 7:00 p.m. Eastern and Wednesday, March 8, at 3:00 p.m. Eastern
Are you a lay leader with responsibility for ministerial compensation or payroll? We'll help you make sense of ministers' dual tax status (including the enigmatic "in lieu of FICA"), housing allowance rules, withholding options, and more. We'll also talk about good practices for ministerial benefits and contracts. Come with your questions and your curiosity.
Register here for Tuesday, March 7, at 7:00 p.m. Eastern
Register here for Wednesday, March 8, at 3:00 p.m. Eastern
Topics of Special Interest
Fair Labor Standards Act
The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) is a federal law that protects employees by establishing standards for a minimum wage, overtime, recordkeeping, and youth employment. Our resources can help you make sure you are in compliance.
Important! A new salary level threshold for white-collar exempt status was to have gone into effect on December 1, 2016. This change was halted by a federal judge on November 22, but the injunction may be appealed. We will keep you updated. Recordkeeping and job duties provisions of the FLSA remain in place, regardless.
- FLSA Flyer (PDF): Please post and share widely.
- FLSA FAQ (PDF): Contains details of the law, including exemptions and recordkeeping requirements.
- FLSA Compliance Guide (PDF): Walks you through a process of assessing compliance and making necessary adjustments.
- Webinar: Watch the recording of a Fair Labor Standards Act webinar presented by Rev. Richard Nugent and Jan Gartner in October 2016. Once you’ve viewed the recording, or if you participated in one of the webinars, you can review the slides (Word). Questions asked in all four of our FLSA webinars are answered in this Q&A.
Employee or Independent Contractor?
Congregations need to determine whether the individuals they compensate are employees or independent contractors.
- See our Employee or Independent Contractor FAQ sheet (Word) for special guidance on clergy, with some information applicable to other staff.
- This Independent Contractor or Employee? page from the IRS describes the behavioral, financial, and relationship factors that help you make the proper determination.
- This Myths about Misclassification page from the Department of Labor addresses misunderstandings that frequently result in the misclassification of employees as independent contractors.
- Ministerial Compensation 101
- Ministerial Tax Status
- Housing Allowances
- Housing Allowance Calculation Form
- Ministerial Compensation Calculator 2017
- W2 Instructions 2016 Tax Year (PDF)