Show the Love Resources
Check out Show the Love Updates to see a frequently updated feed of resources and information as they arise.
We are at a key moment in American history. Never has the Unitarian Universalist message of hope and healing been more important. As we see more and more visitors coming to our churches and our websites in the wake of the 2016 election, we must tap into the energy we feel. We will "show the love" because our nation is hurting, hate crimes are on the rise, and so many have been disturbed by the political process. We as Unitarian Universalists are being called to respond—may that call receive the answer "yes," and not just get a busy tone.
Unitarian Universalists are encouraged to publicly proclaim their values and take action in their communities to show their love for justice. Now through Inauguration Day (January 20) and beyond, join in a joint response that Unitarian Universalists can answer the complex needs in our communities.
Ways Your Congregation Can Act
- Map “Show the Love.” Add your congregation’s public actions and events which show your love: from vigils to demonstrations to projects with community partners. This will help people searching online find an event or project near them to join.
- Prep Your Greeters. If you are a congregational leader, you may be seeing some new visitors these days. With increased numbers of visitors, your greeters should be prepared to provide intercultural hospitality and information about Unitarian Universalism. The Growing Vital Leaders blog post "People Get Ready, Part 1" is a good place to start.
- Work with Key Partner Groups. Leverage existing relationships with groups like Showing Up for Racial Justice and campaigns like We Say Enough. These are easy routes to ramp up your engagement and action. For congregations who are linked in with local groups who are already involved in movement work, consider what your congregation can share: meeting space, meals for meetings, communication channels, volunteers. By joining with interfaith coalitions and other groups, we can amplify and uphold common values and messages. These relationships are an ongoing dialogue between your congregation and the community’s needs- a way to fortify your congregation’s relevance in this emerging American era.
- Check Back Often. This page will be regularly updated with more blogs, resources, and possibly webinars and a forum to help you in meeting the real needs you are seeing in your community. Contact outreach [at] uua [dot] org to let the UUA Outreach Team know of any outreach needs they can help meet.
Post-Election Resources from the UUA and Partner Groups
- WorshipWeb Resources for After the Election (continual updates)
- LGBTQ+ Youth Survival Guide: Trump Edition (11/21/16)
- Webinar: Managing Post Election Stress Response—CLF/UU Trauma Response Ministry (11/17/16)
- Video: Deescalation and Intervention: Responding to Repression and Growing Resistance—Standing on the Side of Love (11/15/16)
- Post Election Sunday Resources for Youth Ministry (11/11/16)
- UUA President Rev. Peter Morales' Pastoral Message (11/9/16)
- Beyond the Partisan Divide Toolkit
- UUA Common Read 2016-2017 - The Third Reconstruction: How a Moral Movement is Overcoming the Politics of Division and Hate
- Naming Race: A Faith Development Office Webinar
- Defying the Nazis UU Action Project
Media and Blog Spotlights
- Media roundup: Building interfaith networks to resist hate and provide sanctuary - UU World (12/16/16)
- Interdependent Web: In the darkness, out of the deep, in need of holy days - UU World (12/16/16)
- UUA president: ‘We must prepare to provide sanctuary and resist’ - UU World (12/14/16)
- Dancing with grief, hope, and resistance - UU World (12/12/16)
- Media roundup: Harvard UUs gather community for vigil to oppose bigotry and bullying - UU World (12/9/16)
- Interdependent Web: The meaning of the season; defiant wellbeing; moral opposition - UU World (12/9/16)
- Movement Building with Scot Nakagawa—The VUU #162 (12/8/16)
- The Waiting Season—Better Together Blog (12/5/16)
- Interdependent Web: Finding our way in uncertain times—UU World (12/2/16)
- Media roundup: Boca Raton congregation withdraws as voting site in support of mosque—UU World (12/2/16)
- Attendance surges at Unitarian Universalist congregations after Trump’s election—UU World (12/2/16)
- Resistance & Resilience—The VUU #161 (12/1/16)
- What Congregations Can Learn from Pantsuit Nation—Southern Region Blog (11/30/16)
- Youth Ministry Training Webinar 4: Pastoral Care To and With Youth—Blue Boat (11/28/16)
- Here come the awkward holidays—UU World (11/21/16)
- Alaska fellowship races to get gender-accurate IDs for transgender people—UU World (11/21/16)
- Interdependent Web: Unitarian Universalists talk about elections and safety pins—UU World (11/18/16)
- Media roundup: UUs share sidewalk messages of love and support following election—UU World (11/18/16)
- Black Lives of UU—The VUU #160 (11/17/16)
- Hold On—Braver/Wiser (11/16/16)
- Interdependent Web: UUs respond to the presidential election—UU World (11/12/16)
- People Get Ready, Part 2—Growing Vital Leaders Blog (11/12/16)
- People Get Ready, Part 1—Growing Vital Leaders Blog (11/11/16)
- Media roundup: UUs offer vigils, reflection, support following presidential election—UU World(11/11/16)
- Reflection and Action, after the Presidential Election—Call and Response Blog (11/10/16)
- What do you need right now?—Blue Boat Blog (11/9/16)
- What on Earth is Worth Saving—Braver/Wiser (11/9/16)