The Commission on Social Witness is eager to present a new timeline for Actions of Immediate Witness (AIW) for 2022. The new timeline is designed to provide greater opportunity for collaboration and action planning among diverse groups. Please take note of the “at-a-glance” chart and timeline below to plan for Actions of Immediate Witness in GA 2022.
Note: The Spring Convening is Wednesday, March 30, 2022 from 7 pm to 9:30 pm ET | 4 pm to 6:30 pm PT
Register to participate. The event will include an opportunity to connect around new AIW topics.
Timeline for the New AIW Process for 2022
- May 1, 2022: Email AIW topic and description to CSW
- May 7, 2022: CSW provides connections, collaborators
- May 15, 2022: Email draft of AIW to CSW; (feedback 5/23)
- June 1-8, 2022: CSW Posts drafts; Authors build connections
- June 8, 2022: Submit revised AIW; Final posted June 15
- **Special exception deadlines for emerging crises: Full draft AIW due June 22 at 11:59 PM PT
- June 22-26, 2022: Votes to affirm AIWs during GA
Description of the New AIW Process for 2022
- Email the CSW the topic and brief (2-3 sentence) description of any AIW you intend to submit or wish to collaborate on by May 1, 2022. Email: email@example.com
- Criteria for AIWs
- The CSW will share any potential collaborators contacts with proposers by May 7, 2022.
- Email the draft AIW to the CSW (firstname.lastname@example.org) by May 15, 2022
- The CSW will provide feedback on drafts by May 23. The now-growing team proposing and writing the AIW should plan to incorporate feedback as soon as possible and re-submit an updated version.
- Between June 1 and 8, the team proposing an AIW should continue and deepen their focus on 1) centering the voices and perspectives of people most impacted by injustice, 2) growing connections and bringing in more people to share plans for action (actual plans as well as ideas and opportunities), and 3) incorporating feedback from interested parties.
- Beginning June 1, the CSW will disseminate updated draft AIWs to promote collaboration and awareness. Drafts will be shared via the UUA website, General Assembly email list, CSW email list, and Facebook.
- By June 8, 2022, the team proposing an AIW should email the CSW (email@example.com) a revised (nearly final) draft of the AIW.
- The CSW will provide final feedback on drafts by June 11, 2022. Proposers should respond promptly with any changes/revisions.
Per the UUA Bylaws, up to three AIWs can be considered by the General Assembly. If more than three proposed AIWs are eligible, the CSW will select which three most meet the criteria to put forward for consideration by the Assembly or they may conduct a delegate poll to determine the three AIWs to be admitted to the GA Agenda.
- The CSW will post final drafts of AIWs on June 15, 2022. There may be no additional revisions after the June 15 posting. This will allow delegates adequate time to review and reflect on AIWs prior to voting on AIWs at General Assembly.
**Special exception deadlines for emerging crises: Full draft AIW due June 22 at 11:59 PM PT
This deadline category is reserved for unforeseeable emerging crises. The CSW reserves this priority so that we have a modicum of time to support these authors in making connections and organizing a statement in a very short period of time. We will select only one or two AIWs for emergency review. We reserve the right to determine whether the statement meets the exception criteria and/or merits late review.