Screenings of Defying the Nazis
People across the country will tune in on September 20, 2016 to watch the PBS premier of Defying the Nazis: The Sharps' War, a film by Ken Burns and Artemis Joukowsky. As part of the Defying the Nazis UU Action Project, many Unitarian Universalist groups want to do a community showing, or screening of the film. While PBS does not allow public screenings of the full film before the premier, here are the options for doing film screening events:
- Host a screening after the film's September 20, 2016 premier by purchasing the public AV version of the film, available through PBS. You can pre-order the DVD, and will receive it after the premier.
- Instead of a film screening, read the companion book from Beacon Press available through inSpirit: the UU Book and Gift Shop. The book will be published on September 6, 2016, two weeks before the film premier.
- Host an event that includes a clip of the film. Showing only a piece of the film will give you more time for the educational, solidarity and witness events encouraged as part of the Defying the Nazis UU Action Project.
- An eight-minute trailer is publicly availble. It includes the film opening and the discussion of Waitstill and Martha Sharp's Unitarian identity.
- UU congregations and groups can get access to a 24 minute clip reel, which includes the film opening and describes the Sharps' first trip to Europe. To access the clip reel, complete the form below.
The Defying the Nazis UU Action Project hopes every Unitarian Universalist and those who share UU values will watch the film or read the book, and then be inspired to take action to carry on the Sharps' legacy of defying hatred and fear. Islamophobia and the refugee crisis are modern-day parallels to the descrimination the Sharps fought against in their time. Visit the project homepage to download key resources for action, education, dialogue and advocacy.