Workshop: Introduction to White Ethnic Identity Formation for Youth
This one-hour workshop for youth who self-identify as "white" provides an animated video and guidance for discussion. The "How to Use This Workshop" section of the Discussion Guide describes the facilitator appropriate to present this workshop, and gives suggestions for introducing the concept of a white identity before watching the video. Rev. Dr. Monica L. Cummings, former Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) program associate for Ministry to Youth and Young Adults of Color, created the animated video and discussion guide. Contact Rev. Elizabeth Nguyen, leadership development associate for Youth and Young Adults of Color, at yayaofcolor [at] uua [dot] org to connect with UUA staff who may be able to participate in a workshop via Skype or in person.
Preview and download the workshop materials:
- Download "Introduction to White Ethnic Identity Formation of Youth (MP4) (right-click to save the file).
- Discussion Guide (PDF, 4 pages)
- Handout 1: Definitions (PDF)
- Handout 2: Four Stages of White Identity Formation: Model (PDF)
- Handout 3: Cummings Identity Map and Worksheet (PDF)
- Handout 4: Responsive Readings (PDF)