Resources and Links for Contemporary Worship
- Cresting from the Ocean: Creating Profound Worship (PDF)—Unitarian Universalist (UU) Elisabeth Bailey gives a theological basis to challenge what she calls "minister-dominated, boring worship." She then goes on to give some fairly concrete tips about how to design an embodied, spiritual, meaningful, community-centered worship experience. Bailey calls on all of our congregations to make worship a community practice, and not something we endure to get to what really brings us together as a community.
- Ideas for Worship DVD—This DVD has keynote excerpts, workshops, and more taken from the 2007 Unitarian Universalist Conference on Contemporary Worship. An accompanying discussion guide (PDF) is free for download.
- Spiritually Vital and Alive: Contemporary Worship for UU Young Adults (PDF)—A guide by Rev. Dr. Michael Tino on creating vibrant worship for young adults.
- Soulful Sundown—Soulful Sundown is a model of UU contemporary worship developed by Rev. Marlin Lavanhar, now Senior Minister of All Souls Unitarian Church in Tulsa, OK. Learn more about the program at their website or order the Soulful Sundown guide by Rev. Marlin Lavanhar from the UUA Bookstore.
- WorshipWeb—This is a great archive of worship services, readings, worship components, and other activities developed by and for Unitarian Universalists.
- Singing The Journey: The 2005 UUA Hymnal Supplement—The UUA hymnal supplement has many new and some never before published hymns suitable for contemporary worship.
Resources from the Alban Institute
- A New and Right Spirit: Creating an Authentic Church in a Consumer Culture, by Rick Barger
- Silver Screen, Sacred Story: Using Multimedia in Worship, by Michael Bausch
- New Harmonies: Choosing Contemporary Music for Worship by Terri Bocklund McLean
- Changing Styles of Worship (from the Alban Weekly 5/16/2005)
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.