- Support congregations and their leadership.
- Inform congregations of district events through electronic and print publication of newsletters, news briefs and other mailings to the local congregations.
- Provide services such as professional consultation workshops, start ups for religious professionals, district committee support, conflict resolution, and support during ministerial transitions.
- Plan and conduct various district events and meetings; conduct elections, and present resolutions.
- Collect names, address, phone numbers and data from congregations, district committees and groups and maintain and/or publish this information periodically in the form of a district directory to assist congregations in working cooperatively.
- Maintain a database (electronic or in print) and a mailing list of all district leadership to be used for notification and call to meetings and official district business as well as newsletter and other communications.
- Work to make sure that all constituencies and groups, including congregations of all sizes and types, are included in district activities and have input at district meetings.
- Assist congregations by providing active and effective programming.
- Train leaders and encourage congregations to utilize trained leaders.
Financial responsibilities include:
- Collection of dues from member congregations.
- Establish the district budget.
- Support the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) Annual Program Fund in congregations in the district.
- Make an accounting for and distributing district and other funds.
Responsibilities for management include:
- Plan, set goals and establish priorities for district activities.
- Select individuals and groups charged with the planning, training of leaders and conducting of district activities.
Responsibilities to the UUA include:
- Advance the programs, purposes, and principles of the UUA.
- Participate with the UUA in the selection of, writing job descriptions for, and evaluating the performance of the UUA field staff who work directly with the district‘s board and congregations.
- Participate with the UUA in the selection, support and encouragement, evaluation of the District APF chair and Ministerial Settlement Representative.
- Participate with the UUA in the nomination of persons to serve on various UUA committees and commissions necessary for the smooth functioning of our Association of Congregations.
- Assist in informing district congregations about UUA programs, services, materials and consultants.
- Communicate with appropriate UUA staff concerning district needs.
- Send an informed representative to the district presidents' meeting.
- Promote and extend liberal religion.
For more information contact distservices @ uua.org.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Tuesday, August 2, 2011.
- DPA Handbook
- All About Districts
- Forms/ Guidelines
- Reports and Minutes