Charge to the UUA Health Plan Trustees
Charge adopted: March 20, 2007
The Health Plan Trust was established by vote of the UUA Board of Trustees on October 22, 2006, for the purpose of operating a self-funded health insurance plan for the staffs of Unitarian Universalist (UU) congregations, the UUA headquarters and field staffs, plus other eligible persons.
On October 22, 2006, UUA Treasurer Tim Brennan was appointed as temporary Trustee and empowered to sign documents with Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield, open bank accounts, and take other actions necessary for implementation of the Plan on January 1, 2007.
The Health Plan Trust will have seven Trustees: the UUA Treasurer and UUA Financial Advisor; and five regular trustees appointed by the UUA Board of Trustees.
The responsibilities of the Health Plan Trustees are to make policy decisions for the Health Plan and provide oversight of Plan activities, including
- determining the third party administrator and other vendors that will work for or support the Plan on a fee for service basis
- approving contracts with vendors that are signed by the UUA Treasurer in his/her capacity as a Health Plan Trustee
- assuring that the Health Plan Director and other persons hired for administrative purposes carry out their duties in a professional manner
- approving any changes in benefits or rates proposed by the Health Plan Director
- undertaking periodic reviews of the Plan's financial performance, funding safeguards, and stop-loss insurance protection
- providing timely reports to the UUA Board of Trustees on the numbers of enrollees, claims experience, and the financial condition of the Plan
- authorizing a claims review committee (which may include Plan Trustees) for purposes of reviewing and authorizing or denying payment of claims that have been initially denied by the third party administrator
- assuring that funds collected by the Trust for the payment of claims, insurance premiums, administrative expenses, and other bona fide expenses are not co-mingled with operating funds of the UUA
- authorizing reimbursement from the Plan to the UUA for expenses which it incurs in administering the Plan including but not limited to payroll and expenses of the Director and/or other UUA staff whose work is dedicated to Plan activities
Seven individuals appointed by the UUA Board of Trustees, who shall meet as necessary, but no less than annually, and who shall include:
- The UUA Treasurer
- The UUA Financial Advisor
- Five other persons, each of whom shall be a member of a UU congregation
Term: For regular members, two years, normally beginning January 1, with reappointment allowed three times for a maximum of eight years. The Treasurer and Financial Advisor serve ex officio.
Qualifications: Experience in insurance and/or other financial, human resources, or health-related professions that will contribute to an informed background
For more information contact healthinsurance @ uua.org.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Friday, July 22, 2011.
- UUA Governance Manual
- General Assembly
- Appointments Committee
- Board of Review
- Commission on Appraisal
- Commission on Social Witness
- Congregational Properties/Loan
- Cross-Cultural Engagement
- Election Campaign Practices
- Fund for a Just Society
- Fund for International UUism
- Fund for UUism
- Fund for UU Social Responsibility
- GA Planning
- Health Plan
- Journey Toward Wholeness Transformation
- Melcher Book Award
- Ministerial Fellowship
- Music Leadership Credentialing Committee
- Off-site GA
- Open UUA
- Presidential Search Committee
- Theological Education
- Retirement Plan
- Regional Sub-Committees on Candidacy
- RE Credentialing
- Socially Responsible Investing
- Youth Ministry Advisory Committee
- District Presidents
- GA Presentations
- Leadership Council