Section C-3.7. Associate Member Organizations.
Rule 3.7.1. Limitation of Associate Membership.
It shall be the policy of the Board of Trustees to limit admissions to associate membership to major continent-wide organizations.
Rule 3.7.2. Non-Segregation.
Each associate member organization shall in all aspects of its work refrain from the practice of segregation based on race, ethnicity, gender, disability, affectional or sexual orientation, language, citizenship status, economic status, or national origin. This rule is not intended to preclude associate member organizations designed to benefit groups organized to ensure their fuller participation in the larger society and to fulfill their unique spiritual needs.
Rule 3.7.3. Application for Associate Membership.
Each applicant for membership shall submit with its application:
- an attested copy of its charter and, unless it is included in the charter, an attested copy of its purposes, objectives, and bylaws;
- the approximate number of members in the organization;
- a list of principal officers with their personal mail addresses and the principal mail address of the organization;
- a financial statement showing income and expenses for the latest fiscal year preceding the date of filing and showing assets, liabilities and net worth as of the end of such fiscal year;
- the dates upon which its governing board met during the twelve months immediately preceding the date of filing;
- any yearly reports of its governing body and its principal officers sent to members during the twelve months immediately preceding the date of filing;
evidence that it enjoys tax exempt status:
- under Section 501(c)(3) of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code of 1954;
- as a registered charity as provided for in the Income Tax Act (Canada); or
- under the laws of the country governing the applicant's tax status;
- if the applicant does not enjoy tax exempt status, the reason or reasons it does not;
- a statement outlining the intended use of associate membership, if granted, and the goals and objectives of the organization that will be served by such use;
- a statement outlining what advantage it is believed there would be to the Association and to the furtherance of the principles of the Association outlined in Bylaw Section C- 2.2; and
- any other information which the Board of Trustees of the Association shall require.
- The contribution contemplated by Rule 3.7.10.
Rule 3.7.4. Annual Report.
Except in the year when it is admitted to membership, each associate member shall send to the Association on or before April 30 (i) an annual report which shall include the data required by subsections (b), (c), (d), (e) and (f) of Rule 3.7.3 and any other information which the Board of Trustees shall require and (ii) the contribution contemplated by Rule 3.7.10. If an associate member fails to comply with the provisions of this Rule, the Board of Trustees shall at its next regular meeting consider a finding of non-compliance and the termination of the associate membership status of such organization.
Rule 3.7.5. Report of Changes.
Each associate member shall send the Association an attested copy of any changes in its charter, purposes, objectives, or bylaws as soon as any such changes are made, and shall notify the Association immediately of any change in its tax exempt status.
Rule 3.7.6. Representation of Associate Membership.
No organization shall claim or represent in any manner that it is an associate member of the Association until such membership is voted by the Board of Trustees; and if and when any organization's associate membership expires or it is terminated, that organization shall immediately cease to claim, represent or imply in any manner that it is an associate member of the Association.
Rule 3.7.7. Mailing List.
Each associated member shall place the Association on its regular mailing list.
Rule 3.7.8. Additional Criteria for Admission.
Before granting associate membership, the Board of Trustees shall determine that the granting of such associate membership is likely to be of substantial benefit to the Unitarian Universalist movement.
Rule 3.7.9. Yearly Grant of Associate Membership.
Associate membership for all new or existing associate members shall be granted by the Board of Trustees for a designated one year period or portion thereof.
Rule 3.7.10. Associate Member Contributions.
The contribution required to be submitted with an application for associate membership is $500 for any applicant whose budget for the 12 months preceding its application for associate membership was $1,000,000 or more and $250 for any applicant whose budget for the 12 months preceding its application for associate membership was less than $1,000,000. The contribution required to be submitted with an associate member’s annual report is $500 for any associate member whose budget for the 12 months preceding the due date of the annual report was $1,000,000 or more and $250 for any associate member whose budget for the 12 months preceding the due date of the annual report was less than $1,000,000.