Linkage Working Group
Charge to the Linkage Working Group
The Board of Trustees governs on behalf of and is accountable to our Sources of Authority and Accountability ("Sources"), which we have defined as:
- Our member congregations
- Current and future generations of Unitarian Universalists
- The heritage, traditions, and ideals of Unitarian Universalism
- The vision of Beloved Community
- The Spirit of life, love, and the holy
To govern accountably on their behalf, the Board must maintain meaningful connections, or Linkage, with these Sources, including constructive dialogues concerning the Sources' values and the Unitarian Universalist Association's (UUA) Ends. The focus of linkage is not "telling" or "reporting" but rather "listening" to the Sources' perspectives regarding their needs and what benefits the UUA should produce. Completion of the linkage loop requires us to let the Sources know what has been achieved on their behalf, i.e., to be accountable.
The Board's Linkage Working Group therefore is charged to create and maintain a system that insures the UUA's Ends reflect the Sources' values and desired outcomes. The system must include
- representational linkage with our Sources, including methodology for linking with each Source;
- the necessary training and tools to Trustees to enable them to achieve meaningful linkage with our Sources;
- analysis of feedback from the linkage work with recommendations for appropriate follow-up action; and
- Board accountability for achieving meaningful linkage and acting on the results.
Members of the Linkage Working Group
- Susan Weaver
sweaver [at] uua [dot] org (sweaver @ uua.org)
- Susan Ritchie
sritchie [at] uua [dot] org (sritchie @ uua.org)
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.