- Approves and supports the aspirations of Black people and other disadvantaged groups to achieve positions of leadership in religion, business, politics, labor, education, and the professions; and to develop wide participation of Negroes and other disadvantaged groups in these fields;
- Urges assistance to independent economic efforts in Negro communities and the communities of other disadvantaged ethnic groups including the demand that insurance at reasonable cost be made available through private or public agencies;
- Urges compliance with reapportionment as ordered by the Supreme Court to make provisions for just representation of Negro communities and other disadvantaged ethnic groups, and the prompt passage of Home Rule legislation for the District of Columbia;
- Supports the participation of community-based indigenous Black committees and other disadvantaged ethnic groups in policy making affecting community life in all its aspects including urban renewal, zoning, law enforcement, education, and health;
- Reaffirms its commitment to nonviolence in situations of social conflict and its opposition to racism in every form.
Self-Determination for Blacks and Other Ethnic Groups
1968 General Resolution
BE IT RESOLVED: That the 1968 General Assembly of the Unitarian Universalist Association:
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Wednesday, August 24, 2011.