Chalice Lighters Background
The Chalice Lighter program began in 1984 as a way for individuals to extend our faith by making a donation of $10 or more for three calls per year.
Our new program works similarly, allowing individuals and congregations to support and be generous with one another to work on transformational goals. Chalice Lighter calls are crowd-funded contributions given by committed Unitarian Universalist "Chalice Lighters" and Southern Region congregations. Anyone can become a Chalice Lighter — just join our Chalice Lighter email list and respond with a contribution when a call goes out.
Our new approach continues to support personal generosity. Additionally, it encourages congregations to participate in Chalice Lighter calls, by a "share the plate” offering or other special gift solicitation—because we know we are stronger together!
The Southern Region’s Chalice Lighter team comprises volunteers from each of the four historic districts, and will evaluate and select Chalice Lighter call applications. In keeping with the times, all our work will be done via email and social media. The Chalice Lighter team will monitor each call’s progress and receive a report from the congregation on its total receipts and how funds are being utilized. There will be up to two calls for each of our Region’s historic geographical districts plus one additional call for a Region-wide effort each year—for a possible total of nine calls. The Chalice Lighter Team will notify us all of each call. (We do not limit the number of calls a donor contributes toward, but anticipate most donors will give to the two calls for congregations in their geographical district and to the one Region-wide call.) As before, each call will have a launch and end date.
Which Projects Are Eligible?
Projects eligible for a Chalice Lighter call include UUA member, “Honor Share GIFT” congregations seeking:
- To hire a first time professional religious leadership;
- To acquire land/building or to build a new building;
- To make ADA improvements to their current facilities;
- To support an inclusive wider community social justice project;
- To support a newly affiliated UUA Member Congregation.
Some examples of Chalice Lighter calls (other healthy, innovative projects will be considered):
- Adding shower facilities for a congregation’s homeless ministry;
- Congregation's outreach ministry to the community;
- Two congregations working in tandem to share staff;
- Funds to bolster growth of a new congregation.
Request for Proposals
Chalice Lighter proposals for each of our historic, geographical districts will be considered on a semi-annual basis.
Your Regional Chalice Lighter Working Team
- Nathalie Bigord—UU Congregation of Gwinnett, GA
- Mark Anderson—Live Oak UU Church, TX
- Margie Manning—UUs of Clearwater, FL
- Lewis Morris—First Jefferson UU Church, TX
- Larry Meisner - UU Fellowship of Beaufort, SC
If you would like to join us in this rewarding work, please let us know!
Questions? Comments? Contact the CL Working Team at srchalicelighter [at] uua [dot] org or your congregation’s Primary Contact.