According to the Alan Guttmacher Institute:
- Half of the pregnancies that occur in the US are unintended.
- Women spend 1/3 of their life avoiding pregnancy.
- Most Western European countries cover abortions and contraceptives in their national health care plans, all the while having a lower abortion rate than that of the US.
- Infant mortality rates are much lower where abortions are legal.
- There is no proof that having an abortion gives the woman any psychological problems.
- There are no abortion clinics in over 3/4 of U.S. counties.
- Due to an increase in hostility towards physicians and clinics who perform abortions, there has been a steady decrease in providers.