Unitarian Universalist Policy
The following Public Policy Statement is a consolidation of all relevant statements approved by the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations General Assembly and Board of Trustees. Read the full text of these statements.
The Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations affirms the worth and dignity of every person as well as the goal of a world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all, and thus affirms the access to family planning and reproductive health care including birth control, age-appropriate comprehensive sexuality education, and abortion. The UUA (Unitarian Universalist Association) opposes any attempt to enact a position on private morality into public law. Thus, the Association supports the following domestically and internationally:
- Education on the morality and ultimate economic, environmental, and social necessity of family planning.
- Federally-funded, age-appropriate sexuality education for all children including information about abstinence, birth control, abortion, and focusing on the emotional and social responsibility involved in sexual activity and parenthood.
- Access to birth control and information for all people to prevent unwanted pregnancies.
- Financial and scientific support for the research on inexpensive, harmless, and effective birth control methods.
- Removal of restrictions on the responsible distribution of birth control information and devices by federally-funded domestic welfare programs and international health programs.
- The right of any female of any age or marital, economic, or employment status to have an abortion at her own request upon medical/social consultation of her own choosing with a guarantee of unrestricted access to services.
- Federal legislation that guarantees the fundamental right of individual choice and privacy in reproductive matters.
- Protection of medical personnel who supply abortion services, and their families, from harassment and intimidation.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.