Voting Process for Youth Observer to the UUA Board of Trustees
Voting for the 2017 election is now OPEN! Deadline: MONDAY, APRIL 10th. Thank you for participating in the decision-making process of our faith!
The voting process for the election of the Youth Observer to the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) Board of Trustees is based on the process used to determine the number of congregational delegates at General Assembly.
A one-page information sheet (PDF) of the following information is also available for download.
Voting youth must be active in their religious community. “Active” may be defined as regular participation, registration in the religious education program, or congregational membership. Each congregation determines what "active" means for their community.
Each congregation receives one vote for every 5 youth participants, with a maximum of 6 votes per congregation.
When candidates information becomes available, review the Youth Observer Candidates information (you may also print out a PDF), watch the candidates' videos, and discuss the candidates as a group. Use whatever decision making process works for the youth in your congregation to make your voting choice. Each congregation will give one complete set of votes for the one-year term candidates and another complete set of votes for the two-year term candidates. They may give all their votes to a single candidate in each term, or split their total allotted votes among different candidates in each term. Then the congregation submits their ballot as a group. You have the choice to submit via an online ballot or a printed ballot.
When the voting process opens, complete the online ballot per the directions listed on the ballot, using the Voting Formula and Voting Process above.
- Print out the paper Youth Observer Voting Ballot (PDF)). If you have more than 20 youth participating in this voting process, you will need to print out more than one ballot, but do not exceed your total allotted votes within each Youth Observer term among all your ballots.
- Have each youth print and sign their name on one of the lines on your congregation's Voting Ballot. Check the box(es) next to the candidates indicating your voting intention. Each box indicates one vote (per the Voting Formula above). You will vote for your selected candidate(s) for each of both positions; you may split your total allotted votes among different candidates for each position.
- A minister, religious educator, or congregational president must sign the completed ballot for voting verification.
- Submit completed Voting Ballots to be received by MONDAY, APRIL 10th at 9:00 am Eastern in one of the following ways:
- Mail to: UUA Office of Youth & Young Adult Ministries, 24 Farnsworth Street, Boston, MA 02210-1409;
- Scan and email to: youth [at] uua [dot] org; or,
- Fax to: (617) 948-6473.
Voting Ballots must be received by MONDAY, APRIL 10th at 9:00 am Eastern or postmarked by the Friday before. The individual listed as the contact on your Voting Ballot will receive confirmation of the receipt of your Voting Ballot. If that individual does not receive confirmation, or for any questions, contact the Office of Youth and Young Adult Ministries at youth [at] uua [dot] org or (617) 948-4350 to ensure that your Voting Ballot is received and counted.