Apply to Become a Candidate For Youth Observer
The Youth Observer to the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) Board of Trustees is an important, national leadership position that functions as the primary liaison between General Assembly (GA) Youth Caucus and the Board, but represents a larger youth voice on the Board. See the Statement from the 2010-2011 Youth Observer for more information on what it is like to be the Youth Observer.
The information below pertains to the 2016 election, which is closed. If you are interested in applying to be a candidate for the 2017 election of Youth Observer, email youth [at] uua [dot] org with your name and contact-info and we'll let you know when the 2017 application process opens.
To Be Eligible
You must be a youth who:
- For the one-year term position, will be in high school (Grades 9-12) or the equivalent for the 2016-2017 school year;
- For the two-year term position, will be in high school (Grades 9-12) or the equivalent for both the 2016-2017 school year and 2017-2018 school year;
- Is active in a UUA congregation;
- Is able to attend the first Board of Trustees Meeting on Monday, June 27, 2016 in Columbus, OH (following the close of General Assembly) and all Board meetings thereafter. Attendance is also expected at the 2016 and 2017 General Assemblies (as well as the 2018 General Assembly for the two-year term). (NOTE: All expenses related to presence at Board meetings and GA are paid by the UUA.)
The application process will open on MONDAY, FEBRUARY 1, 2016. Fill out the online Youth Observer Candidate Application form (or download, print and fill out the PDF) with the following information by TUESDAY, MARCH 1, 2016:
- Candidate name and personal information
- Which of the two terms (one-year term or two-year term) for which you want to run
- Campaign Statement (around 100 words)
- Electronic picture
- Link to campaign video statement (see guidelines below)
- If you are using the PDF version and not the online application form, send the above information in one of the following ways:
- Fax: 617-948-6473;
- Mail: UUA Office of Youth and Young Adult Ministries, 24 Farnsworth Street, Boston, MA 02210-1409;
- Secure Email System: Send a separate email to youth [at] uua [dot] org just asking for an invitation to the UUA Secure Email System, to receive instructions on how to use this system. [DO NOT email this information directly to this email address! The UUA email system is not secure enough to safeguard your sensitive personal information.]
- Signed Parent/Guardian Permission Form—One-Year Term (online or PDF) -or-
Signed Parent/Guardian Permission Form—Two-Year Term (online or PDF)
- If using the online version, you do not need to do anything else to send the signed form.
- If using the PDF version, submit it by fax or mail (instructions above) -or- email an electronic copy (scan or take a very bright, clear photo of the signed form) to youth [at] uua [dot] org.
Campaign Video Statement
Each youth observer candidate is asked to submit a video campaign statement by the application deadline. Video statements must meet the following expectations:
- No more than three minutes in length
- Simple shot of the candidate responding to questions (no video effects; UUA staff will add in title slides)
- Candidates should respond to the following prompts/questions:
- Name, congregation (including city and state)
- Why do you want to be the UUA Youth Observer?
- If elected, how would you use the non-voting position of Youth Observer in service of Unitarian Universalism?
Applicants can use a video camera, smart phone or tablet camera, webcam or laptop computer camera, or any other electronic video recording equipment. The video file or files should be added to a file sharing site (such as Dropbox) and the link included with the application email. Applicants who need assistance with this requirement or who do not have access to this equipment should contact the Office of Youth and Young Adult Ministries (contact information below) as soon as possible, and arrangements will be made to provide support for this process.
If you are interested in applying to be a candidate for the Youth Observer position and have questions, please contact the UUA Office of Youth and Young Adult Ministries at youth [at] uua [dot] org or (617) 948-4350 to find out more about the role and election process.